Scared kids

I have seen parents do this and I think it's kinda mean, that's why I'm asking. If you notice that something new that you show your child scares them and they have a reaction like crying or making a sad face (i.e. vaccuum cleaner, etc...) do you do it again to show someone else their reaction or to see it again for yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uh, no, they're not performing monkeys to be tortured for other peoples' viewing pleasure! I do, however try to do it again in a controlled environment to help desensitize them from being scared. My daughter was so scared of the blender but I made all her baby food in it. I would hold her close and turn it on for a few seconds, giving her kisses and telling her it was ok... I taught her to growl at it, to make the same noise it made... little by little she'd do that and no longer be bothered. At nearly 2 she still growls at the vacuum cleaner LOL!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well we have. My son crys if you say the word Opaa! or make a sound like a race car, like Vroom!
    Who knows why... it might be mean, but it sure is funny!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• like I know people who know their kids are scared of spiders and force them to hold them to "desensitize" them... my mom did, to this day I'm terrified of spiders...yuck!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't make my kids hold spiders. But the vacuum and the blender are unfortunately a permanent fixture in our home. I did it gradually and lovingly.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• If I blow my nose my son gets scared and cries. I try doing is quietly. As parents aren't we supposed to show our children that it's ok to be afraid and that everything will be ok, not scare them to make us laugh?!?
    YoungandExcited

Answer by YoungandExcited at 8:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• and isn't it a lot funnier to make your kids laugh instead of cry.......
    YoungandExcited

Answer by YoungandExcited at 8:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• NO. Like the vacuum cleaner. Our second daughter was afraid of it. Before we turned it on we would tell her and she would go into another room or until she was old enough, we would put her in another room. We let her get used to it on her own terms. Our son, now 11 months loves the vacuum cleaner.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009