Longer school days / year?

I admit I haven't been keeping up but I read that Obama suggested longer school days or longer school years. What's your opinion on this? Do you think that is the key to improving our nation's grades?

I personally feel like the government needs to straighten out the schools and curriculum first, hire more QUALITY teachers, and reduce the student-teacher ratio in the classroom. Of course I know these things are far off from happening, but I think these things would make a much larger impact.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am against longer school days/years and am thoroughly convinced that it is the QUALITY of education, NOT the QUANTITY that is the problem. How is giving children MORE time in a screwed up system with clueless teachers going to help anything? BTW: Not trying to imply that all teachers are clueless.
    katanne22

Answer by katanne22 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Right now my district is cutting a day from the school week. Ummm......I think longer days would not be worth it for the younger ones, they get burned out. Longer years? Maybe or mid summer brushups.
    Anonymous

• I really like most plans for year long school. Less post-summer brain fog.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i 100 percent am against longer days. In elementry school i suffered bad migrans and such from being in school to long. I was bused to east side cleveland from west side and that was an 100 bus ride so i didnt ge thome till about 430 and we had a rule that we had to do homework as soon as we got home. that burned me out bad. My dr told my mom that i NEEDED to play or do something i enjoyed after school before homework. Longer days are gonna make more kids feel burned out and not focused. I also think summer vacation is a great thing. U need that time off to relax and just be a kid. kids are only kids once. let them have fun. Also i think as long as parents are pushing kids to still learn and read during the summer they wont have the summer brain fog or whatever its called.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 9:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• im down
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• ha.... okay. i have taught at a charter school that tried extended school days to test the theory. we already had the kids 7:45-3:30... local pubic school have them 8-3... but we went to 7:30-3:30... it really sucked, being there longer did not equate getting more done, there is an old saying, the brain wont take what the butt cant handle. i think we need to work on ratios, teacher training, i might stand alone here but i support dissolving the union because it keeps bad teachers in schools, universalizing the mandatory state tests to a national test... some tests are way easier than other states... which makes no sense. changing the no child left behind act (like the requirement of 94% attendance, which isnt possible sometimes. other unrealistic requirements that schools lie to meet. ) Also if we look to countries with high scores, they identify and track students for their possible careers young!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• we need to realize not every kid is destined to be the same thing, why would we teach kids with the potential to be doctors in the same methods, in the same classes, same books, same pace as kids who have different talents. in elementary schools you should begin to see more individual track teaching, think about reading groups, maybe the kids switch classes for math grouping kids who work at the same pace... then that seems to get lost in middle school... they begin to freak that all the kids need to pass the test and if you are smart enough to do that on your own, you dont get enough attention
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• .... America also needs to realize without teachers there are no doctors, nurses, therapists, judges, ect... we need to respect and pay teachers more, and get rid of the ones that cannot do the job... just my opinion of course. longer days wont even scratch the surface inwhat we need to change... and i support obama .. ususally!
    AmaliaD

• I think it could be a good thing, if done with planning. From what I hear the kids would go 1 hour extra and only go 4 days a week. I am all for year round school, with more break but shorter breaks and only a month off for summer break. There is more of a chance for the kids to retain what they learned the year before. I also agree that we need to treat teachers with more respect, and some parents need to teach their kids how to respect and listen to the teachers so they can spend more time teaching and less time dealing with discipline issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• longer days would be horrible. i know that my step daughter would not do well if school was longer. kids can only take so much learning like that in one day. and going to school longer - even an hour would mean that my SD would get home at 5pm! we would be done with homework by 6pm. then dinner would have to follow immediately. and baths would have to be started at 7pm. and then everyone would have to relax and go to bed at 8pm. that leaves NO time for playing or anything fun. I know they would have longer weekends, but my SKs NEED to get out and play.

also, teachers do deserve more respect and more money. i don't know about longer school years - i am on the fence, but leaning towards leaving it the same with the 10 wk. break. i am definately 100% against going to 4 days a week. it will not benefit the kids.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009