My son is almost 3 and when he goes to bed or sometimes even if he wakes up in the middle of the night he rocks back and fourth banging his head against the headboard of his toddler bed what can i do?

steph518

Asked by steph518 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to take him to the doctor. I don't want to scare you, but that is not normal. Please go ASAP.
    Anonymous

• Actually, it's pretty common.

My brother did it so much it killed the color pigment in the top part of his head. To this day, his hair grows out a lighter color there than the rest of his hair.

Mainly it's seen in boys and they do out grow it in time. Just be sure he has a padded headboard!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Head banging is common in little boys. I *believe* the number is about 20% of little boys head bang. My brother did it a LOT, and my friend's sons do it, but not so much they hurt themselves.

I agree--try to make sure the surface is padded!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• if it would make you feel better bring him to the doctor but it is very common. My husband was like that as a baby and all four of my brothers. for my brothers my mother just padded their head boards.
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's restless leg syndrome. Usually caused by low iron. Take him to the dr and have his iron checked. took us 7 yrs to get it properly diagnosed. Now he takes an iron supplement with dinner.

Change his bed to a captain's bunk instead of a frame. My son rocked his frame apart & got trapped under the footboard.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband did this aswell and continued until he was almost 12. My youngest son did it for awhile to but has stopped since then. I never worried about it myself but if you have concers,call your doctor.
    Sonya33

Answer by Sonya33 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My sister and i both did it. We rocked but don't recall bang our heads. We are both grown now52 & 48 years old and still do it from time to time. It is a soothing mechanism and i believe quit normal!
    artnme

Answer by artnme at 9:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would take him to the doctor. This could be a sign of something serious. My son was doing this for a while, and later diagnosed with Autism. It does not hurt to check it out. If everything else is okay, then its probably nothing. Just a suggestion to rule it out.
    sakeenah35

Answer by sakeenah35 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2009