Do you make people take their shoes off in your house?

and if yes, why, and if no, how do you feel when others make you do it?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• WOW! If I were a guest in your home, and you asked me to take my shoes off before entering, I would never come back! Being a good host, means being inviting and making your guests feel comfortable--your inconveniences should not be a factor.

Young children SHOULD experience dirt and germs, it's healthier for them! Granted, WE have a mud room by the garage door and laundry room for OUR children, but I would never consider making a guest fell less than welcome by suggesting that they are dirty!

The only rule I have for guests is no smoking...but then again NONE of my friends smoke so it's easy to enforce.

Would you invite someone in to your home that has a runny nose...or make them wear a surgical mask...oh noes...germs?!?!?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No, I don't make them take their shoes off.
    Bethe333

Answer by Bethe333 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Absolutely...and I always take my shoes off at other people's homes. Shoes are gross, that's why, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My family takes their shoes off. But unless it is really rainy or snowy outside, I won't make guest take of their shoes. Although my close friend Beth and her family know to take their shoes off. So they just do it.
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 8:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• With the exception of horrible messy weather, I never understood why someone would prefer someone's foul foot germs over shoes, lol. And what extent do some of you take it to, I can see close family coming over, but what about co-workers? your boss? the plumber?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• People take their shoes off when they come over to our house, I don't want anything that people have on the bottom of their shoes like dog crap or gum on my carpet and I would hope that they have clean feet. I don't freak if people don't but most ppl see our shoes sitting by the door and just take them off I actually have never had to ask anyone.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 8:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Um no that would be rude.
    We take our shoes off to get comfortable but I dont care if people wear them in the house. I take them off at other peoples house if I am comfortable or want to relax but other then that unless they ask me I just waer my shoes.
    Anonymous

• YEs I do, I live in a place where it snows and rains about 3/4th of the year.. I will be danged if I am cleaning up the mud and snow from someone walking in my house with shoes on.... :)
    roseakasis

Answer by roseakasis at 9:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• We never wear shoes in our house and most people take theirs off unless it is a formal situation or a total stranger. The reason is because I like my floors to be clean enough that if I drop a piece of food I'm not afraid to pick it up and eat it. If I want to lay on my floor I don't have to think about what disgusting filth might have been brought in on the bottom of someones shoes. I want my own feet and socks to be clean and my furnishings as well. I take my shoes off without being asked when I enter other people's homes unless they insist that I don't out of respect~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 11:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Usually no, but sometimes if it's really muddy I'll ask that people remove their shoes. I don't mind being asked to remove mine.
    katanne22

Answer by katanne22 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009