Has anyone's child had Strabismus surgery?

My 3 1/2 year old son is going to have Strabismus surgery on both eyes this Friday.

I've read all I can about what to expect, but I'm looking for real life experiences regarding what the recovery is like. Did your child try to rub their eyes, did the eye stitches hold up ok, how long until you felt comfortable letting them play with siblings or other kids (I also have an 8 1/2 yo son and a 5 yo daughter), etc.? I'm starting to get very nervous!!!!

SahmTam

Asked by SahmTam at 8:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My sister had eye surgery at a very young age... 3 or 4 yrs old. As far as I know it went pretty well and she didn't have any issues with the recovery part. She's a person that is very sensitive to things (she's bi-polar), so when my mom talks about going that experience with my sister it really wasn't anything terrible at all. Stitches today are amazing! They use a lot of tape/glue type stitching... less itching from it and a lot of times it will dissolve in certain areas as well.
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 11:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• There aren't any stitches...not where you can see them or get to them anyway.

My 2 year old had surgery to correct his crossings (both eyes, but he had Amblyopia).

I don't have room here for a full explanation (thank you character limitation), but in a nutshell...he was back to normal the next day.

He had his surgery first thing Monday morning, by later in the afternoon most of the anesthesia had worn off and he was up playing. The next day, I gave him a dose of Tylenol in the morning and that was it!!

Now, I would suggest preparing your other kids for what his eye(s) will look like...there will be blood in the corners from the surgery. It won't be leaking, just under his cornea. It's normal. It can take up to 2 weeks to clear up.

You'll be instructed to watch for infection, fever, etc. But, really, my son was his old self the next day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks for the answers!! The only thing I had to go by were the instruction papers and they sounded scary... they said you could sometimes see a purple stitch on the whites of each eye (although it was unclear as to whether the stitch was ON the eye or under the surface), so thank you "Ticcled"- that cleared that up for me- after reading your response I think it must just mean that sometimes you can see some purple from the stitches under the surface.

It also says "No rough housing" and while I intend to make sure my older kids know to keep off of him, I also know none of my kids will just sit around all day being extremely cautious LOL. SO, it sounds like you just have to be careful, but they aren't really, really fragile? Does that sum it up?
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Also... if I can ask something else... did the surgery work well for you ("you" being anyone who cares to answer ;-)).
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009