What special talent or gift would you like your child to have and how would you help develop it?

Hey moms, all parents know that each of their children are truly special, which they are, but what if your child could have an extraordinary talent or gift? Which would you like him/her to have and why? What steps would you take so that he/her can develop this talent?

Here are a few examples: superior intellect, artist or musician, extraordinary leadership qualities, natural athletic ability, etc.

Jumpitz

Asked by Jumpitz at 9:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Common Sense!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm very happy that my three kids have always been compassionate to each other and others too. They're really not competitive with each other or any one. They enjoy life and caring about it.
    Anonymous

• What I really want my kids to have is confidence, something I never did....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Once they display their talent, I encourage and work with it.

My oldest is very interested in science. We've bought science books for him (he's 5 but has the intellect of a 7-8 year old I'm told), he loves the SCI channel, if I can't answer one of his questions we search for the answers together.

My second is 3 and is very interested in writing, spelling and reading. One of his favorite games is spelling. He gives me a word, I make the sounds of the letters and he says which letter, then we put them all together.

My third is 2. He's going to be our math major (as of right now lol). He has this thing about shapes. He can recognize most of his letters and numbers (to 10) but shapes...he is all about shapes! We went through the basic shapes and he kept asking for more! So...he now recognizes trapezoid, parallelagram, pentagon, hexagon and octagon! lol

Support their interests. I think that's the way to go.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I wish they were musically inclined. I played the violin in high school for 4 years. I wasn't great at it but it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot in the orchestra. I wish my kids could play instruments but they don't even get Rock Band, lol. They are still young, though, so maybe one of them will click with an instrument.
    My oldest (8) does have a talent for drawing that we encourage a lot. Last year for her birthday we got her another book on drawing (she has many) and a new sketch tablet. She thinks her drawings suck but I see so much potential and raw talent. I think she could draw cartoons or comics.
    My son (7) is into history so we are always buying him history books and stuff like that.
    My younger two like music, mainly dancing and singing. My 6yo has been making up songs on her own since she was 2 and my 3yo has several songs from Rock Band memorized already..
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My 4 year old son Hunter plays the violin which he will continue until 8Th grade. Hopefully by then he will be glad to do it on his own. I am sending Hunter to a foreign language academy k-8 to become fluent in Spanish the opportunities in being bilingual are endless. Boy Scouts because Hunter is a great team player with a kind heart and I want him to develop leadership skills. Martial arts because I want Hunter to be able to defend himself and well as being healthy. Swimming is important because it can save his life or someone else. As Hunter grows older I want him to develop a vocation skill so that when economy is bad he can possibly become self employed and always able to care for himself. Any thing Huner shows interest in I will support 100% but some things I will push for to help him prepare for his future.

DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009