DD is 5 1/2 months old and I just checked on her while she is sleeping...on her tummy! Is this safe at this point?

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sure that some will say it is okay, and some will say it is not. If that is how she is comfortable and able to sleep, then I think it should be okay. My DD slept on her tummy from the time she was able to roll herself over. I think as long as she can get herself from her tummy to her back and vice versa, then she will be just fine!
    haileysmom2833

Answer by haileysmom2833 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• she can roll 100% back to tummy. But hasnt mastered the tummy to back yet.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Doctors will tell you NEVER but from personal experience if the baby can roll over by herself and there is a tight fitted sheet, nothing in the crib with her (no blankets) then I don't see it being a problem. I tried everything to keep my son on his back but by 6 months he refused and waking up several times a night to go in and turn him back over got old after a while. Try to turn her over to sleep on her back but if she makes a habit of it then do what you can to make her sleep area safe for her to sleep on her tummy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I will only let my daughter sleep on her tummy if she did it herself and the ceiling fan is on.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 9:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• all three of mine did, from time they came home . they just slept better,and liked it. so i say i think its ok.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I rolled her over....but if she goes back I will let her stay I guess
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• when she can roll herself back it is fine, you cant stop it, i would work on that during tummy time so that you dont have to worry much longer about it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My DD is 4 1/2 mo, and i cant stop her from sleeping on her tummy. I still check on her, cuz i get a little paranoid, but i've read that by the time they are able to roll over the risk of SIDS decreases greatly - just make sure, like the OPs said, that there are no blankets or stuffed animals or anything loose in the crib with her.
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 10:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing at her age and i would always turn her over but when i checked on her later she would be in the same position so i gave up and let her sleep like that and she's fine. So if they are comfy like that i would let them sleep that way just check on them now and then.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my thought is if she turns ober that way to sleep she's obviously more comfortable that way and why wake a sleeping baby!! of course no dr in their right mind would say ok to this but she's yours not theirs so let her be.
    staci1103

Answer by staci1103 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2009