Why does the first few pancakes not get brown, even when using a "seasoned" pan? I just don't like my pancakes to be pasty looking, but I don't want to throw away those first 3-6 !

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The seasoning of the pan has nothing to do with the browning. Pancakes cook ideally at 350 to 400 degrees. You can use the water drop method a pp mentioned, or do what I did- drop 19.99 on a flat surface electric griddle. You plug it in, it heats to and maintains the perfect tem, and you can cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time! Which means the whole family gets a hot fresh stack AND eats together.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The pan isn't hot enough when you first put them in. Let it warm up more.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i think itsbecause the pan is so hot from cookin the first few, the rest just get browner. sounds good to me.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• To test if the pan is hot enough, flick a drop of water on the pan. If the water dances and evaporates right away, the pan is hot enough, and the pancakes should brown.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• growing up mom would always let us "snack" on those first few pancakes. she wasn't throwing any away and always ended up with a nice perfectly browned stack. usually it was only one or two pancakes that didn't brown.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Just make one at first. If it turns out right, great! If not you only have one for the dog to eat, and not so much goes to waste. If you don't have a deog, make it slightly larger than normal and if it doesn't get as brown, put it under the others so it stays hot and it will still tase as good, andnobody has to be looking at it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2009