Am I the only one who didn't know how amazing baking soda is???

We are moving into a new house and the place is great...but the people left the fridge a MESS! Anyway, I was trying to spray it clean with some kitchen cleaning spray and then I remembered how baking soda is supposed to be good for cleaning. I can't BELIEVE how awesome it cleaned the fridge!! I may be like YEARS behind on this one, but I just thought I'd mention it to anyone who was in the dark like I was!! It cuts down on the scrubbing and really does a great job! Sorry to sound like a commercial...I couldn't help myself :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Throw some into the sink and pour white vinegar over it. It'll foam up and you get a really clean smelling disposer!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Baking soda works great against soap scum in the bath tub also. I use it before I give my daughter a bath that way I know she isn't sitting in a tub with chemicals! I use baking soda everywhere to clean. Also works great to remove burnt on stains in cookware.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It's my new favorite thing!!! I love that it's natural too - I'm having a baby in a few weeks, I think I'll need to stock up!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Wait to get it on sale, then stock up. Around here, you can sometimes find it on sale for less than 50 cents/box. I use it in my washing machine sometimes too. It gets a kind of sour smell sometimes, especially if anyone has left a wet load in there overnight. (I'm not the only one who does laundry in my house) Anyway, especially for towels, that sour smell just doesn't seem to come out no matter what temp. I wash them in or what type of detergent I use. So I will add some baking powder to the wash to boost the power of the detergent and to get rid of that sour smell. Works every time!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• this is awesome!! I have heard people talk about it but never used it. I am going to get some tomorrow... I hate using the harsh chemicals, I guess I wont have to anymore
    JessicaBrowne

Answer by JessicaBrowne at 10:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• also if you leave an open box in the fridge it cuts down odors (I also sprinkle some in the bottom of my garbage can) Good for whitening your teeth too. :)
    I love it!!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I make a runny paste out of baking soda and lemon juice and clean my stove with it. It works wonders!!

Have you witnessed the aweome powers of vingegar or peroxide? Those are great too :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It is also a wonderful exfoliant for your skin! My skin was really discolored after my csection. Well, eventually I noticed that some of it would scratch off ( I don't know what it was on my skin, but scrubbing didn't help). Anyway, I used some baking soda and water and it took a day or so, but the stuff was gone! I also read an article on Queen Latifah and she said that her grandmother used it like once a week on her face and that her skin was always great. My husband found it in the bathroom after I scrubbed the belly with it and used it in the sink and you would have thought that it was the greatest thing ever!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• cool, I will have to get me some also. Thank you laddies
    1carlasue

Answer by 1carlasue at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2009