Are you a thrift store shopper?

I'm thinking of making this a part of my lifestyle. What steals and deals have you found? And please feel free to give details. Wht do you primarily look for when shopping in thrift stores?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Shopping

• I do shop on occasion at thrift shops, and I find great deals.

First things first...find out which stores in your area carry the higher quality, the so-so stuff, and then the places that will take anything. You will want to stay away from the latter, its generally a waste of your time.
    We have a store in my town that, when you walk in, looks like a department store. For donations, they only accept things that are not tattered, not rips tears or stains, and are only gently worn. Their things look brand new. I can get shirts there for $5 and under, sometimes $7 if they still have the tags on them. Same goes for jeans, usually between $7-$10, and they look new, or very gently used (which for me is great cause they are already broken in!)
    Childrens clothes are a steal at these places, and so are their toys. I get Kaylee (now 10 months) pants for $1-$2, the same goes for shirts, onesies, sweaters ect.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am very interested in this. I am not the best shopper. I am terrible at finding deals and such. So, I hope people can give you some advice!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I go in and get denim shorts, I think they are $5 a pair at Goodwill. Brands like Aeropostale and Old Navy.

My SIL gave me a pair of Banana Republic jeans she got in a thrift store, and they are really great, fit nice. I guess that brand is really expensive.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i love going to thrift stores and resale stores. I normally go in there with certain items in mind, instead of just browsing because if you just browse, then you may come out with a ton of stuff. And find a fairly big store. My town has about 3 small resale shops and they're ok if your in a pinch and need something and can't get out of town, but some of the larger towns have some real big resale and thift shops. Plus, most thrift stores and resale shops still have clearance racks or discounts on stuff so find out they're discount policy. One of our favorite places has they're tags marked on when items come in and if they've been there longer than 60 days then it's 50% off and if they've been there longer than 90 days, they're 75% off. There's lots of stuff you can get super cheap, but know the price of an item before you go in, so you can compare how good of a deal your getting. Cause some places, it's really not a good deal.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• You can find out through word of mouth which places carry higher quality things, or you can try to donate things yourself and see what they do and do not take. But generally you can tell by the overall appearance of the store.

They are also a great place to find things like vases, trinkets, gently used books, costume jewelry, etc. etc.

Good Luck, and happy shopping!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Oh, and one more thing, some places will give you store credit for donations.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Only upscale thrift stores!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I love thrift stores, but the nicer ones that don't take clothes with stains/rips/etc. I usually am looking for casual shirts for myself or my boys, and girls clothes for my daughter who is 4. Kids clothes are awesome because they don't wear them long enough to wear them out in most cases, and they sell higher quality clothes at a lot of them for less than half the price you would pay new. I do not buy under garments or shoes from thrift stores, but that's about it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009