I hear conflicting informaion, is it safe for my to give my baby boy soy-based formula?

I have an 6 week old little boy who has a milk allergy as well as GERD. We recently found that soy-based formula makes him the most comfortable. I was forced to stop breastfeeding (because no matter how much I would cut out of my diet, he would projectile vomit) and try a hypoallergenic formula, which only worked for a day or two at most. The soy really seems to make him the happiest. But is it safe?

Cartersmom09

Asked by Cartersmom09 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so just do not buy from brands made in China. Cow formula is usually best formula has more fats for babies brain.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• my daughter can only drink soy based we get simlac.
    1Lilly

Answer by 1Lilly at 9:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Soy mimicks estrogen in our bodies...this is why people are afraid of it. I've actually read ridiculous things online like "it will make your boy gay" or "effeminate". That being said, there is no actual medical proof that soy is harmful to the body. My husband and have eaten soy products for years because we are vegetarians and it hasn't caused us any problems. Of course, everything should be eaten in moderation. But I doubt that a year or two of being on a soy formula will do any harm to your son. It's no more harmful than giving him dairy milk, which is full of disgusting things like pus, urine, blood...and if it's not organic, hormones and antibiotics.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 9:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with soy based formula my son was on it for a year with no problem and both my neices where too. my son was on the good start soy formula and that was the only formula he could keep down.
    Anonymous

• There are many problems with all formulas. There is no good or safe one. But since breast milk isn't an option for you, you'll have to settle for whatever he tolerates that comes with the least risks. Soy has it's negatives, but if it's all he'll take, you have no choice. I'm sorry your little guy can't have breast milk.
    Anonymous

• check out the group called the truth about infant formula
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• My son is 13. He drank ProSobee from one month to one year. He is fine and not effiminate. And never really sick. He never even had an ear infection.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009