Is there such a thing as a free site on-line to look up someone death certificate?

I just found out, after Google'n them, that a good friend from my childhood died in '97. Sux, I kno.....I want to kno what the cause of it was, though. He was only 22 at the time.

TheLostMuppet

Asked by TheLostMuppet at 9:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• google free library 24 hour phone lines - your library probably has a link to one. Ask a 24 hour librarian if she can give you the obit for your friend. Otherwise wherever your friend died email the obit editor to get a copy of the newspaper obit, mite cost ya. Social Security has death dates but I'm not sure about the actual notices on file. Sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

• Or check the Newspaper from his city?
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Obits do not always give the cause of death and I think that is what the OP is asking. You would have to see a death certificate with the coroner's cause of death report. And I'm not sure how you go about obtaining this information. You might seek the cemetary where your friend is buried. I don't know if they have that info, or would give it to you. Your best bet might be to try to contact a mutual friend who might know the cause.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2009