Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergy to flouride drops?

Did your kids have an allergic rash to fluoride drops? We finally started to give DD the drops before bed (she is 18 months) and she developed a rash. We didn't connect the two for over a week, but then DH suggested that was what it was from and it does say on the box that it is rare but can happen. We stopped giving it to her and the rash seems better. Has anyone else experienced this?

Answer Question
 
PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 9:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 4 (30 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Flouride is very harmful to us. Do a google search of "risks of flouride". Sorry didn't answer your question but a rash is the least of the worries!
    TanyaR1024

    Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

  • I would seriously consider NOT giving a child fluoride. My dd was given drops and it caused, what I believe, fluoride poisoning. It colored and pitted her teeth. And she has had painful joint problems since she was around 12--she is now 24 and still deals with the joint pain. I did a lot of research and I am convinced that is what she has. To get a doctor to admit it is another thing. Her dentist just said it was "possible" but he would not commit to that. She has seen other doctors for the joint problems to no avail. There is a reason other countries have BANNED the use of fluoride in the water. PLEASE research this before you continue with the drops. I would not do it again. It also affected my oldest son's teeth as far as color but not the pits in the teeth or joint pain--he was not on them as long as she was...... PLEASE research it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

  • My husband was raised on well water and never had fluoride--and he has great teeth!!!! I was raised on treated water and I have awful teeth. Again, research it.........please
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

  • Flouride is bad, bad news! It is a natural substance, but fluoride is highly toxic to human beings, even more so than lead. The amount of fluoride in a typical tube of fluoride toothpaste is sufficient to kill a small child if it were consumed all at once. Fluoride toothpaste contains a much higher concentration of fluoride than what is found in nature. Especially if ingested, which an 18 mos. old will do! Of course she will most likely ingest large amounts at one time but it can build up in the brain and cause neurological problems, shrink the pineal gland, as well as discolor teeth. Lot's of info. I could share as to why NOT to give flouride. An allergic reaction is her body's way of saying No Thanks!!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN