Where do you get started in a new life?

I have recently separated from my husband and am in the process of a divorce. I have no real friends. I have issues with finances so I can't really afford school or chid care either. I cannot afford or enjoy a bar or the people in it. where would I get started in making new friends? Ideas on child care, school, and/or work would most definitely be appreciated too:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• What I would do is go to Health and Welfare for help on child care they can also help you with housing and what not, with schooling maybe try online
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Libraries are great place to meet people and make friends - great groups for adults and kids too meet there. Plus 4H clubs grouped by counties are great for adults and kids too of different ages - it's not all farm animals at all. Lots of counties or county colleges have displaced homemakers groups that are actually called that - for women exactly where you and so many others are.
    Keep up your spirits mom. Keep googling your quesitons, amazing ilnks.
    Anonymous

• what state do you live in
    Anonymous

• I live in Georgia. By child care, I was more referring to daycare so that I may be able to work if I were able to find a job any time soon. But thank you so much, I do have medicaid for both of my children and they are amazing help for me and my babies. I also work with dfacs because in my specific case I have dealt with domestic violence from my husband and they also help me out soooo very much. DFACS is not at all the bad wolf that most people believe they are by the way. does 4H club have any costs? I have heard wonderful things about that particular group for children.
    Anonymous

• Shopping for groceries a good place to meet people, and if it makes you feel better not many of us have any real friends just when it is convient but thats ok too..find a church of your faith that has single events, there also some single sites I've seen advertised for single parents both men and women. I was a member of 4H you have expenses for projects things like that pretty fun. YMCA fun place to go with kids and they can help you with childcare, and they are always looking for employees. So you wouldn't have such seperation anxiety. Sorry about your divorce but if he is abusive you did the right thing for you and the kiddies just don't look back it will be tough but well worth it!! Stay strong!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm in GA too and they pay $1200.00 a month to go to school and DFax pays for childcare. To make friends find a big church that has alot to offer like special groups that meet on different days for singles or problems. Like here on Fri. nights they have a 2 dollar buffet and then they break up into groups to talk, while providing childcare. I made one good friend, she has mental problems but i can look over that. We all do of some kind but it helps to talk about things and then through her i met other people that are helpfull if i need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• really?? I'm definitely going to have to ask my case worker about that so I can go ahead and get started. thank you so much. countrygal you are so right. I do have separation anxiety but I realise that it is only because of the situation that I was in, being married with children and all. I am going to take your advise and join a church. and I am definitely going to look into the YMCA and 4H club. Thank you so much for the answers ladies. This has really given me hope and a more optimistic prospective on my situation. I hope that you are all aware of how helpful ya'll are and wonderful too. Thank you ya'll amazing mommies!
    Anonymous

• where did you find that $1200 funding from GA? I would really like to go ahead and get started as soon as possible with school.
    Anonymous