Spoiled 1 yr old

So my son is 16 months and he is driving me nuts! If he doesn't get something he screams and throws himself on the floor until I get so frustrated I wanna scream! My mother in law only enables this, picking him up constantly and giving him whatever he wants. I have talked to her over and over about it and she basically says that im wrong and she will do whatever she wants. I feel like a complete bitch because my husband NEVER stands up to his mom, it's always me! I don't know what to do, I am at wits end! I don't know how to break the temper tantrums and get my mother in law to go along with it (she believes if he cries then he needs to be picked up). How do I teach my son that throwing a fit won't get him what he wants?

butterflymom112

Asked by butterflymom112 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I could help you out but I have the same problem. I'm sorry. So just hang in there and I hope it gets better.
    Anonymous

• If he's crying to be picked up, pick him up before he cries. If he's throwing fits for things, distract, delay, and be consistent. Get your MIL on board with doing what's in his best interest. Don't deny him something just to get him used to being denied. But don't give in to fits either.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'am going thought that with my 13 month old lil girl . what i do when she is throwing her fit . i dont say anything to her and i walk over and away from her and she will cry for a few mins and come to me all better and if she comes back still upset i put her back down and i tell her no that is not the way to act and walk away again ... i dont know if iam doing it right but that is the only way i know and so far so good ... and about you mnl oh my goodness iam in the same boat there as well ...to her iam a bad mom . but she is my baby and ill do what i think is best for her and if she dont like it she can go home and if he didnt like me telling his mom that he could go with her ,lol

Good luck
    IJM2508

Answer by IJM2508 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Cut the MIL bitch out of your life. If DH doesn't do it then you stand up for yourself and your son. She has to learn that you are boss in your own house. Fuck her and what she wants. Next time she comes over slam the door in her face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2009