I don't understand alcoholism.

I dated a guy for a short time, very short, 6 weeks. I really liked him and I started falling for him, just a little. We took long walks, we held hands, we went to the movies, we went to dinner, everything started out wonderful. Well that didn't last, I discovered he was an alcoholic. We couldn't go anywhere without ending up somewhere that served alcohol. He became more open about his drinking as in pulling a bottle of vodka out from under his car seat, drinking out of the bottle while driving down the road, drinking at 6:30 a.m. shortly after waking, which meant drinking before he went to work. His work by the way is delivery, which meant driving all day, so he would get intoxicated before he left for his job in the morning. He was such a great guy the few times he wasn't intoxicated, but when he drank he changed. Is there anything I can do to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Alcholic is just like drug addicts, you can't do anything HE will have to want to change himself and in my experience around alcholics they won't change until he either has health problems because of it or has accident. I don't understand it either my ex was same way. The more you stay on him the more it will make him want 2 drink. Your best bet would probably be move on unless you flat out tell him unless you take care of yourself I can't be with you, and he will chose what is most important to him. Only way he will take a step back and reflect if you lay it out like that. IF he had rather drink then have good woman then so be it! He will end up killing his self or someone else drinking driving just like playing russian roulette do you really want that for your future? A nice guy can be nice for awhile just won't take long 4 it to get bad 4 you! Good luck finding a nice fella!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 10:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I myself am a recovering alcoholic and like 1countrygal said you have to want to change for it to happen! If he chooses alcohol over you then you are better off without him. I still drink occationally but not first thing in the morning and nothing like when i was younger. That is a BIG RED FLAG! I would move on for sure. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009