A question for Christian's

I know I have been told before, but could someone please explain how they decide when Easter is? Why it is different every year. Thank You :) ( I know the meaning, just need why the date moves...)

Asked by nikkileerue at 10:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The reason it moves is because the Last Supper was a Passover Seder (because Jesus was Jewish) and Passover falls according the the Hebrew calendar. The first night of Passover (when we have the seder meal) always falls on the 14th day of the Hebrew month of Nissan. This year that coincides with April 8th. Easter cannot occur before Passover. It always occurs on the Sunday following the first night of Passover. That is the real reason why Easter falls where it does. BTW the Hebrew calendar is based on the Lunar cycle.

Answer by Marwill at 7:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• isnt it like always the second sunday of the month?

Answer by Kbmancine at 10:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• thats what i thought too

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• No...last year it was on March 23rd, this year it is on April 12th.....

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• according to:
    "Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity), following the cycle of the Moon. After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church) that Easter is the first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon, which is the first moon whose 14th day (the ecclesiastic "full moon") is on or after March 21 (the ecclesiastic "vernal equinox")."

• It's totally Pagan! 

Easter is the first Sunday

after the first Full Moon

after the Spring Equanox!

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It has to do with the Spring Equinox. It wasn't always pagan until Constantine decided to mess with it. I just read an article he was soooo messed up. This is an interesting read. and this next url same letter but with explanations to why Constantine was not in his right mind nor had the right heart.

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Good question.  I wondered about that myself.

Thanks MamaK.

Answer by beeky at 11:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• just what mamak88 said:

Easter is the first Sunday

after the first Full Moon

after the Spring Equanox!

Answer by Kiter at 11:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• first full moon after the spring equinox... that's why it was SOOO early last year!:) I finally googled it a couple weeks ago, because I was wondering why it's not set like Thanksgiving or Christmas:)

Answer by TippyD at 12:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009