Natural

I need encouragement please. I dont want an epi b/c I had back surgery and there is metal exactly where the epi needle goes. I want a natural birth. Im getting a little nervous b/c so many things can come up and happen to get in the way of that. Im 34 weeks. I told my ob I didnt want an epi and she literally laughed in my face and said you know alot of women say that but cant do it. Give me your natural birth story?

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have not had a natural birth yet my first i did get the epi and i regret it i am 34 weeks also and im nervous as all get out but i am determined to have it natural this time i wish you luck :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Hi,

I had 4 children without any medication-No epi or pain pills. It can be done! I took a couple of Bradly classes. My first baby was 4 weeks early, so I did not finish the class. My husband was a wonderful coach. There was pain, but just stay focused and you can do it. message me and let me know how you do. They laughed at me too but I told my ob what I wanted and he did what I asked. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• i didnt have anything with my 2nd.
    Anonymous

• I would suggest Hypno Babies to use during delivery. I believe the website is www.hypnobabies.com

Also check out the Natural Pregnancy and Birth Group.
    Anonymous

• I've had 4 also.. no pain meds whatsoever. your best bet is to take birthing classes. they teach you how to focus your energy. Whether it be Bradley or Lamaze .. or whatever.. there are several . I just don't remember all the names. Check with your local hospital or womens' clinic and see what they offer. Have a good coach! They are the one that will be by your side.. reminding you to focus.. to breath.. and that it is going to be OKAY. You can do this... I won't say that it is painless.. but you forget the pain almost immediately after you see that precious baby.

4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I can give you my semi natural birth story....
    Came in dilated to 6cm doing great with my breathing techniques, dilated to 8cm less than an hour later still doing alright until my babies heart rate dropped and they had to do an emergency c-section. What I can honestly tell you is that breathing techniques make a WORLD of difference. They really do work! So practice practice pratice and DONT put it off (i delivered at less than 35 weeks) also think about what else migth help. Music? Movies? Massage tools? Lotions etc and pack your bag now so you dont forget anything AND if you really dont want an epi you can do an intervenous pain medicine you will still feel the peak of the contraction but you wont feel the beginning and the end. My cousin did it this way and she liked being able to feel when she needed to push but still get that little break between contraction peaks
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Honestly, with a doctor that has an attitude like that, it makes it more difficult. When I told my doctor that I wanted a natural birth, she told me that as long as we have pain meds we should use them, and that I wouldn't get a gold plated baby for having done it naturally.
    That being said, you can still do it! I did it with my first and plan to with my second (though we're going the homebirth/midwife route because we found that hospitals just aren't supportive of it.)
    Make sure that you get a nurse you like. If you don't feel comfortable with one, ask for a new one, and when you find one who's supportive of natural birth and has experience with it and good tips, keep her!
    You'll want to take drugs at some point, so make sure to let your husband know that when you ask, you expect him to keep you from getting them. I wrote this in my birthing plan too, and my nurse was great about getting me through it.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Make sure you take a birthing class, like LaMaze or something. I watched "The Business of Being Born" like 4 times the week before I went into labor. It gave me a lot of encouragement about doing it naturally, and also a lot of information so that when the doctors tried to induce or encourage drugs, I had statistics to throw back at them.
    Don't let them try to intimidate you into anything you don't want to do. They will try! They make more money when you take the drugs, especially when they do the epi because they need to call in the anestegiolost (sp.) to do it.
    Remember that women have been doing this for thousands of years all natural! It's only very recently that women have been drugged up during birth. That really helped empower me.
    Good luck, mommy
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• It is completely achievable. I would look for a new doctor honestly... maybe try a midwife? (And by midwife, I mean one not attached to a hospital under doctors orders... you can't get an epi if it is not an option right?!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Also, I would suggest hiring a doula if you stick with your doctor and hospital... that can really help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009