• In the Spotlight:

What do I do when my 2 year old can crawl out of her crib!?

butterfly17522

Asked by butterfly17522 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• why is your 2 yr old in a crib in the first place he or she should be in a toddler bed at two yrs old
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Not all kids are ready for a toddler bed by then, Nakita72. My son sure isn't, and the layout of our house makes it less than safe, too. So we use a crib tent to keep him from climbing out and landing on his head. I got it at amazon.com, and my son actually loves it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• change it into a toddler bed....or get her a toddler bed you dont want her to fall and hit her head the wrong way.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I used a "crib tent" and it worked great.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Actually the AAP recomends keeping a child in their crib until age 3. I highly recommend getting a crib tent. I personally feel that it is a good idea to keep a child in a crib until 3.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 11:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Our 2 yr old can climb in/out of his crib so we tried to move him to the "big boy bed", but he wasn't ready. They are both in his room, but he likes the "walls", I guess. I'm in no hurry to move him, waiting until he's ready. If yours keeps getting out, she may be ready for the toddler bed. You could try it and see what happens, use the crib for back up. I have also heard other mothers on here say that they give them a choice of the crib or bed. If you are worried for her safety at night, you can put a baby gate (or 2) over her doorway to keep her in her room at night. Good luck to you and your growing girl! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It sounds to me like she might be ready for a toddler bed. We're transitioning our 18 month old into one slowly, by doing two naps a week in his big boy bed. We'll move up to all of the naps in a few months, and when he acts like he wants to be there all the time, we'll say good bye to the crib...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We baby proofed the room, put a gate in the doorway, and used a toddler bed with a rail. Remember to use drawer locks on the dresser when you baby proof. Kids will open the drawers and climb and the dresser will fall on them or the drawers will slide shut and injure them. I learned this the hard way when the dresser fell on my girls. Luckily they weren't hurt bad.

The tent sounds like a good idea too. I might look into it for my grandson.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If she can climb out, it's time to get a bed. It becomes a dangerous situation once they can do that. My cousin climbed out of her crib as a toddler, her leg slipped through the slats, she went down but her leg didn't.

She got the cast off about 8 weeks later.

If you do switch her, remove the crib. Out of sight, out of mind.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We put our son in a toddler bed when he was 15 months old. I sat next to him the first night until he fell asleep, and hes been doing it ever since. Just because the AAP says something doesnt mean its best for all kids. My son climbed out fo his crib at 14 months, scared the crap outta me, so the next month he went into his big boy bed. He loves it (btw, my son is now 26 months old.)
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009