How do I stop my 3 year old from hitting and saying I hate you or I dont like you?

At first, I have been having problems with my son hitting little kids who were older then him and now he is hitting adulit as well. I dont know how to stop it. I put him in time out or spank his hand when he hits.

Now, for the last couple of weeks he has been saying the worlds "I hate you or I dont like you, mom" when ever he is angry. And he doesnt just say it when he is angry, when people come over he tells them that he doesnt like them or get out of my house or he will tell what are you looking at.

I dont know what to do. I just dont understand why he acting this way. What am I doing wrong as his mom? What do I do? someone please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• do you or someone else you know thats he is around alot say those types of things? He had to learn it somewhere and i would start by finding out where and limiting contact as much as i could
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the age but you need to nip this in the bud asap. I'd calmly put him in a time out every time he does it. If you rage or spank and it's not working then, it's just not the effective way for this. Tell him it's disrespectful and rude and we don't treat people that way and then get down on your knees, look him in the eye and tell him he needs to think about it and have a time out. He needs an explanation as to why it's just not done and then followed w / a punishment. Just keep at it and don't give up. You might need to pick him up, put him in his room and say nothing (ignore his comment) if the explaining doesn't work. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Keep it up. But if it's seeming even more serious, see a pediatrician.

We had this problem with my son. Turns out he has Apsergers, which leads to social dysfunction that can express itself as aggression.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My three year old son does the same thing.He learned it from older brothers and sisters.I don't know how to fix it either,it gets on my last nerve.
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009