What age should a mother stop bringing her son in the shower with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before they are in Kindergarten. Toddlers are fine- but school age kids start to notice the difference and it can be awkward!
    Anonymous

• I would never bring my son in the shower with me... plus it's bad for their skin.
    Anonymous

• I don't honestly know lol. my daughter is 16 months old and I still take baths w/ her and recently she's been poking at my boobs and trying to touch my hair on my croch.. so I would say anywhere from 16 months on lol.. I get the whole they don't like to shower or bath alone, but they're going to have to get used to it, because it's just starting to get weird having them poking at body parts you know? Good luck!
    Anonymous

• How is it bad for their skin? Water is water.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I am confused by the "its bad for their skin" comment...

But anyways, I would say when it becomes uncomfortable for either yourself or your son. My SO just stopped showering with our daughter (10 months) because she tried to grab his manhood, lol. So that was the end of that. She has not become interested in my parts yet, so we still shower together (yes, I take showers as well as baths with her) and I will until it becomes uncomfortable.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Toddlers notice as well. I'd stop at 1yr old, but as the poster above me said, whenever anyone starts to get uncomfortable. My brother at the age of 18 months told my mom "Your pee-pee broken" and he told my dad "Your pee-pee bigger than mine!" O,o
    So if you want to avoid those types of questions it would be best to stop at 1yr :)
    I stopped at only 5 months because its so hard to hold on to their squirmy little bodies.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 12:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• For us it was just when we got uncomfortable. My son actually got uncomfortable before me or DH did. He was about three when he let me know he wanted to bathe alone.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 3:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's a personal decision. I never did baths or showers with the boys...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It is a personal decision. I never have taken my kids in the shower with me, son or daughter. It's not something we as a family agree with.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Dunno. My son will be 3 in June and still loves taking showers with me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009