When is the best time to plant pumpkin seeds to be ready in time for halloween?

I told my dd last year that we would grow our own pumpkins next year because they are so darn expensive to buy from road side stands. It makes more sence to me why pay all that money for them all we are going to do is carve them and let them rot on the porch. LOL Thanks for your help.

rachel0226

Asked by rachel0226 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I agree to look at the back of the seed packet...it depends on what part of the country you live in...as how soon you need to plant them. Good luck!
    Kristie_S

Answer by Kristie_S at 8:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Depends on the gestation period of the seed. If you are buying the seeds it will be on the back of the pack.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 11:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• lol, my mom grew pumpkins one year, on accident.. she left a huge pumpkin in her garden through fall/winter and it decade and the snow and leaves pushed the seeds into the soil.. by the middle of summer she realized she had pumpkins growing.

I would have to say late fall early winter...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Where I live (MI) we still have cool weather and frozen grounds so I am going to plant my gs's pumpkin seeds end of May...
     He saved most of the seeds from his last yrs pumpkin so we are going to try those...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009