How can I get my son and daughter to stop fighting? She is 8 and he is 2 and they scream and hit eachother.

balancingmother

Asked by balancingmother at 11:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• They are brother and sister, they will fight. BUT, your son is 2. Still learning to listen, testing his boundaries AND he's learning from his older sister. If she hits, he thinks it's ok to hit. She is old enough to understand that she shouldn't hit and why she shouldn't hit...ESP a 2 yr old. Discipline her when she does it. And if UR son does it first, scold him in a firm voice and to time outs if needed (if you do TOs).
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Make them hug each other and apologize!!! That is awful to deal with.....especially since the 8 year old feels free to hit the 2 year old. BUT make it a two way street--the 2 year old should learn to respect the 8 year old.
    Anonymous

• Your 8 yr old should know better then to hit a toddler. If they were my kids i would be giving the 8 yr old a spanking and extreamly strick boundries... think the term is call "tomato stalking". The two year old is probably just mimicking her behavior. But 2 is not to young for a time out of a swat on the butt. But if his sisters behavior changes, so will his. Deal with the immediate issue, the hitting, but dig deeper into why there is such a struggle. Jelousy? annoyance? could the 2 year old just want postivie attention from his sister, but she is just annoyed with him(not unusual). There are usually heart issues with negitive behavior... deal witht he behavior immediatly, but fitgure out the emotions behind it and figure out how to really change that... otherwise discipline just becomes a temporary bandage and the issue will manifest into a new behavior.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Wish I could help you out, but the truth is that some siblings just don't get along. Period. My brother and I are 6 years apart (I'm older) and I think back now at how we treated each other and I can't believe my mom lived through it. We couldn't stand each other. We ALWAYS fought. It wasn't until I was about 20 or 21 that we finally started having a normal relationship. I wish that we hadn't been so mean to each other back then, but the truth is we just had nothing in common then and we got on each others nerves. This probably isn't the case for your kids, but like I said, some just don't like each other. (btw, we also have a younger sister that we both got along great with.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would work on the 8 yr old. two yr olds are learning how to behave...she should no better by now.
    Anonymous