At what age do you switch a child from crib to bed?

Asked by susanjpt at 8:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think there is a set age. The best "time" to switch them to a bed IMO is when they can climb out of the crib or have tried to. If they fall out of the crib it is a few feet and they are much more likely to get hurt than if they fall a few inches or 1 foot out of a toddler bed.

Answer by jaycee1124 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It's more a matter of when your child is ready. Our oldest daughter is now 3 and we started her in her toddler bed at age 2 1/2 but it took some adjustment for her. I'm not sure she was actually ready yet.

Answer by algolden05 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• With both of my kids we switched them to a bed (never bothered with a toddler bed) when they were able to crawl out of their crib. To keep them from falling off the bed we just put a bar up (my mom gave it to us...part of it slips under the mattress and that holds it into place).

They were both 2 1/2 at the time. There is an adjustment period because now they can get up and walk around whenever they want. After a few months though they went to bed without problems.

Answer by amethystrse at 8:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• When they try to climb out of the crib.

Answer by Mama0215 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I started my daughter in a toodler bed when she was 2 and she ajusted to it like it was a new toy. when I would say its time for nite-nite, she would run to her room and cover her self up.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• when they learned how to get out!

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• 18months - he actually sleeps a lot better

Answer by estherWSM at 9:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I started my son off in his own bed the day after his 2nd birthday. We made sure to make a big deal about it with him and he was so excited to start sleeping in his own bed.

Answer by ginamarshall68 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My rule is as soon as they start potty training. But of course it depends on when the kid is ready.

Answer by Ifiwereabook at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Both of mine started sleeping in a bed when they were 2 years old.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2008