ughh anyone else's 2yr old act like this?

my son listens to me very well, but as soon as we go out in public he turns into a monster! he doesn't listen to anything i say. and i don't want to start yelling at him so everyone thinks im an obnoxious mother. any advice?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 12:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time outs. Right there in the middle of the aisle, in the middle of the store. Let him yell, scream, and throw a fit.
    People won't think you are an obnoxious mom. They'll think you are a mom working to stop your toddlers bad behavior now so he is a nice preschooler in the near future. Really! I've actually had strangers thank me for being willing to discipline right in the store.

Taking him home is too late. He has forgotten what he did and will simply connect throwing a fit with getting to go back home - instead of staying to do the boring shopping.
    Taking him to the restroom also is too late as well as the room is MUCH louder when he starts to scream. Hard on everyone's ears.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• A friend of mine told a story about another friend of hers whose child didn't act up at home, but always thru tantrums in public (Walmart!) So she said in a loud voice, "Look everyone, come see what "William" is doing, Hurry, Hurry and come watch him!" Embarrassed him to death, never happened again. I don't know if that is true, but it made me hysterical thinking about doing that in public! LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• haha thanks for the advice ladies
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Consistency. Whatever you do at home when he acts up is what you do in public.

I've only had to do it once with each boy so far. (I said..."so far")
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2009