How would this decision effect your bottom line?

I have been watching all of this info on the AIG bonuses and how the government is stating that they want the recipients of those bonuses to return the money, and if they don't they will go after it. Now, it was careless of the govt. to lend money with no conditions as to how it would be used. But these people had contracts. I hear about how they are going to 'get the taxpayer's money back' and 'give it back to the people'. I find that concept laughable, as we have no money. Tax payers won't be seeing one dime of this money. So, how do you expect to 'see' the return of the taxpayers money (assuming you are a taxpayer) and how do you expect it to effect your bottom line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I find it as negligence on the governments behalf, but I don't agree with them trying to take the money back. There were contracts. When you put money into a business, you take the good with the bad. Couldn't they see this as more of a 'bad asset'? I think if we allow government to go in after the fact and change the terms of a contract, there is no point in having a contract to begin with. I was young when Carter was in office, but this seems to be the biggest government clusterf*ck I have ever witnessed. I am sure our enemies are getting a great show of our incompetence.

As for what the bottom line is for me, it likely won't affect my family any more than other families.  I won't get any more back in taxes, since it's pretty much all borrowed money anyhow.  It would just go back in govt.'s wallet for reckless spending.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Obama knew about the bonuses back in Sept. Dodd wrote the provision in the stimulus that allowed the Feb cut off date to not exclude the bonuses. (even though he's now claiming he doesn't know who added that part) Dodd & Obama are #1 & #2 for receiving political contributions from AIG.

"Careless" is not the word I would use to describe this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Adding: This is what happens when our elected officials pass legislation without reading it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think whats done is done. Congress needs to spend their time working on other issues than trying to figure out how to get money back from AIG. To me this is a small problem in the big scheme of things.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Anon 12:53, I would like for what you're saying to be true, but would need a source.

For OP: I don't expect anything to happen except for the government to take increasing percentages of our money both earned through work, and interest, then as we spend it, lend it, and give it. I expect the money that I keep to be worth less, due to the government's carelessness and inflation.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

•  

Praying--

Unfortunately, you're not going to see this story covered on liberal websites (for obvious reasons), but here are a few:

http://urbangrounds.com/2009/03/17/dodd-obama-aig/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2208491/posts

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/dodd-cracks-aig---time/

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Lies, lies, all lies...................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I wasn't really paying attention this morning, but I thought I heard someone on the news say they wanted to try to tax the bonuses at 100% percent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• How do you tax just SOME people's bonuses? Their outrage and declarations are useless.

I'm extremely unhappy about the bonuses, but I don't see how they can legally get that money back.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I was on the fence over all of that for awhile, but now, I believe the employees should get those bonuses. I know that sounds crazy, but it's a contract that mutually agreed upon by both parties and the treasury secretary allowed the bonuses to remain in force. So the government should learn the lesson on that one not the people. And, because Shumer states he would excise tax it an additional 35% on top of the 40% bonus tax almost seems illegal to me, and pretty damn scary when the government tells you they will take your money that they previously allowed you to have as mutually agreed upon in a legally binding contract.
    I say let the employees keep the bonuses, teach the government a lesson, and no we are not AIG representatives.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009