Infant Cereal

I just started feeding my daughter infant cereal about two weeks ago, a little after she turned four months old. I am having trouble figuring out just what consistency it should be and getting her to actually eat it. Anyone know any good tricks to get at least some of the cereal into her tummy?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my favorite is to throw the cereal out and give the baby a mashed banana instead. **grin** No mixing, no fuss.

But it's supposed to be pretty thin,. Just follow the box directions.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I started out by making it as thin as her formula, she ate it like that for a week. I gradually made it thicker as the weeks went by
    KeagansMom08

Answer by KeagansMom08 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My little one never took it when it was thinned out. Try making it a little thicker to see if she likes it. Add just a little more at a time. I think for the first few feedings we would give her 1 oz of breast milk with 2-3 TB mixed in then made it a little thicker every day.

Also, Remember if you're mixing it with breast milk then it gets thinner as it sits because the enzymes in the breast milk break it up.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Start out watery and work your way to a thicker texture (ending up with something like mashed banana or other baby food texture). The idea is to get your LO used to swallowing. It is possible that she's too young to know what to do with the cereal yet. Maybe take a break and try again in a few weeks.
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 12:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• She seems to take it better when its thicker and I know that she swallows at least some of it. I really just wanted to know if there was something I could do to make it easier on her to learn. Like a way to hold the spoon so it gets to where she feels like she ought to swallow or something.
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My mother fed 7 babies this, I fed it to my babies when they were little, and my sister fed it too her babies and we NEVER had trouble with it (even though they tell you nothing but formla in a bottle): I would take about 4 ounces of formula, a small amount of rice cereal, and a small amount of baby fruit or baby veggie and mix it up in a bottle. Cut the nipple a small bit, and they loved this stuff!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my daughter hates baby ceral so I used to give her ceral mixed with applesauce, she wont touch it now though. What I do now is just give her cherrios as a snack, she usually has some in front of her, and mashed fruit.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009