How's your family finances in these troubled days, how do you maintain health insurance? Hope every one's alright.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have health insurance covered okay.

But getting thru rounds and rounds of lay offs at my job is stressful. I really just want this economy to stablize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We've been extremely lucky in these down times my husband works at a gold mine and he makes really good money and as long as there are no accidents he gets a bonus every month good incentive to stay safe. As for health insurance again been very lucky we have health insurance through my husbands job and it pays 85% of everything or more depending on what it is and also they have a maintenance type program which is paid 100% for these that you have to get done yearly or whatever like paps and stuff and pain management programs and stuff so we've just been very lucky! Hope everyone is doing well.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 12:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I posted the question. We're doing okay too. My husband's job is steady. Our son was job hunting a year ago and ended up deciding to get a second degree to help himself get a job, we'll see in a while if it works or not. We''ll be putting him on cobra under my husband's insurance - at least he hasn't aged out yet. I wish to heck we could pay the cobra rate but have it taken out of my husband's pay directly as cobra instead of having to pay it ourselves. It'd just be easier. I'm just so scared to get him any other health insurances. Ours is pretty good, individual plans though are higher than our cobra and no where near as good at all. Hubby's employed and we have health insurance. Can't ask for much more huh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband is in the union so are health insurance is 100% covered. I only pay a $300 deductable and 20% of everything. However anything anual is not covered untill my husband gets a higher posssion.Perscriptions are covered 90% so thats a blessing but we have to do it old shcool and pay up front and then wait 2 weeks to get reimburrsed. I cant complain though because some of my family pats 700 a month to have health inssurance and we for sure cant afford that. My husband has been laid off one time which was only a couple of weeks ago but since we pay the union a monthly fee, they are obligated to find him a job asap. So he was only out of work for two days. I would be worried though if he was just working for some random company thats not union.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We're fine here - the company I work for is growing, so my job's secure for the coming years and I don't worry about my son's father's employment anymore since I don't rely on CS as much as I used to, so he can work or not as he sees fit. Health insurance is not a burden and I recently received a promotion. More importantly, we're happy and healthy and hopefully growing wiser.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband has a good job. He did have to deal with some hour cuts and that was painful financially but our health insurance is taken out every week and we have flex spend as well. It will always be paid and I don't have to think about it. Thats good because we wouldnt be able to afford it if I had to pay it every month. Its definately hard now a days.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We pay $128 a month for my youngest daughter's insurance, but I have none. And I'm diabetic, hypertensive, and have hypothyroidism. Imagine how much my medical bills are every month. I can't get insurance because I have pre-existing conditions and have been denied blue cross blue shield. I'm not okay. Alot of times I can't afford the blood work I need. I just pray to God that I am going to be alive to see my 8 year old grow up.
    mirandar2001

Answer by mirandar2001 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• it's been tight, but we still manage to live comfortably. our phones were recently turned off, but we needed groceries badly. But it isnt like this all the time. We always manage to pay our basic bills and have food on the shelves and fridge. and we always manage to have plenty of basic baby supplies. Sometimes we have money left over and are able to fill our gas tanks and order out. We are moving soon and will have our own well, so thats one less bill! and my car insurance went down woohooo! I'm a sahm. but SO cancelled his health insurance for now, so he can take more money home
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hubby has awesome health insurance through work. We only pay like $25 a week for health, prescription, dental and vision insurance for all 4 of us.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• He has been laid off since 2nd week in Jan...hope to get called back soon...I just got called from part time to 40+ a week starting next week thank goodness. We have insurance for our family but our dental kind of sucks but hey its something.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009