Vaccine for Kennel cough?

How important is it for my two dogs who live inside our house to get this vaccine? They are not around any other dogs however when they go potty or just out side to play there is a neighbor who has a couple of outside dogs but there is a fence inbetween. People have told me that the vets will try and charge you for things that your pet really doesnt need so thats why Im asking.I know that they need an exam and the DHLPP vaccine but Im just not sure if they really need this other one for kennel cough. Please only answer if your a pet owner and know about this stuff. Thanks!

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• They dont absolutely need it is what my vet told me. They only need it if you are going to board them because another dog there could give it to them. But if you never plan on boarding them i think you should be fine. And if you chose to board them they will give your dog the vaccine when they get there. Hope i helped
    Married12Kevin

Answer by Married12Kevin at 1:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My vet doesn't give Sassy the shot. We don't board her and she really is only around other dogs who are not boarded as well. She's not around dogs that I do not personally know. I have had a very bad experience with dogs I do not know and my puppers has a nasty scar ;-(
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's not necessary unless you are going to put them in a boarding kennel, and the time for that varies kennel to kennel. Some want it done at least 2 weeks before you board them, but not longer than 6 months. Some are ok with a year.

I take my dogs to a dog park, so I vaccinated them with the bordatella (kennel cough vaccine), just to be in the safe side. It's not a requirement, but a precaution.

The vaccine itself shouldn't run you any more than $15 each, at least that's what most vets around here charge. If you don't take your dogs around alot of strange dogs, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. It's not important.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• well if she's around other dogs I would get it. It's highly contagious.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Kennel cough is highly contagious. If they get groomed or just even go to the vet they could catch it and not every place u board gives the vaccine. I would get it. Its only like ten bucks and it'll be a lot more if your dog gets sick. Its bordatella btw…
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• One of my girls got kennel cough when she was a puppy and it sucks, but it isn't that bad. I only have them vaccinated against it if I need to have them boarded at the kennel because it is required there. If you visit dog parks a lot or go to dog shows or things like that, you should probably have your dog vaccinated once a year.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• it was inbetween paychecks and the vet told me to give her 1ml. of childrens allergy relief med. Wont get over it right away, it will take a couple of days.
    Anonymous