sudden body odor

This is embarrasing but very real which is why I took the anon route. Yesterday, I took off my fleece and noticed an overwhelming smell but only from my right armpit. So I scrubbed it (too late for a shower) and put on some secret. This morning I woke up and took a shower. I went out for an hour and when I got home, I smelled terrible again! Not nearly as strong, but none the less, its not normal. I'm clean, I shower regularly, I do not sweat excessivly, haven't changed my diet or anything. I'm deffinatly taking myself to a doctor, but I would love someone to give me a ray of light while I wait. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• body odor is caused by bacteria. Maybe some unbalance in the normal skin bacteria? A chance in the compostion of the sweat being broken down by those bacteria?

you said no diet changes, so I guess thaat means no onion laden pizza or heaavy garlic-laden meal.

Hyperhidrosis - is 'excessive sweating'

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• thanks for answering. i guess a bacterial infection is always a possibility. i dont know where it would come from, but i wont rule it out because i dont know anything about that kind of stuff. and no, no onion pizza. or onions or garlic at all. my husband seems to think its a hormone thing and its because im pregnant. i told him his swimmers cant be that strong! (we are ttc, but only "tried" once since being pill free and arent keeping track of ovulation or anything.) im so nervous because these doesnt strike me as a "fluke" or some normal occurance. thanks a lot for answering though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have to change my antiperspirant/deodorant every six months or so, it's like I build up a tolerance. Try switching brands.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 1:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• thanks for that suggestion pitter patter. but to be honest, i rarely wear deodorant anyway. im going to get something stronger in the meantime, so thanks. my gut tells me its something more and i dont want to cover it up, i want to get rid of it. thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• An imbalancement of the bacteria can happen at anytime, even if you don't change habits your body may change. I have to agree with Kiter on this. I'm not sure, but I know when your hormones are out of wack it causes alot of problems. Maybe your hormones are out of wack and it is causing an imbalancement and therefore causing the odor. Are you having any other problems, like excessive hair growth on stomach or face? Mood swings? fatigue?
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I haven't ever been preggo (I'm a Step Mom) but, I'm wondering...I know that diabetics can develope yeast infections anywhere on there body that will keep the right envirnoment (folds of skins, in the belly button, under breasts) could it be a sign of someting serious like diabetes or gestational diabetes? Not trying to worry you, just thinking of all possibilities so you have some good questions for the doc. Sorry if I'm worrying you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks for your reply jrose! Your answer leads me to believe that my husbands pregnany hunch may be correct. I certainly hope its that and nothing serious. I appreciate your time. I'm not "furry" and would notice excess hair in seconds, and I'm not tired or moody. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Anon206 thanks a lot for your reply. I actually had gestional diabetes and have a family history of diabetes. Its a real possibilty for me, but I don't know if that's the case right now. I have no other symptoms, and after my experiences, I think it would be clear as day. But to be safe, I'm going to check my sugar when I wake up (fasting). Thanks for pointing that out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well, you didn't mention pregnant! Yep- That'll do it! Hormonal.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009