Whatever happened to fixit yourself men?

More and more I have noticed that men are paying to get stuff done. Such as working on cars, plumbing, repairs to the house. And how expensive it can be... I will notice that people will pay a few thousand dollars for a repair that mine has done on a vehicle for less than 2/3rds of the cost that is paid. (rebuilding an engine for 700 vs. 3000). How many other hubbys out there do the work themselves? And do you think fixing it yourself is a guy hobby going on the wayside?

cherbear3317

Asked by cherbear3317 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If anything, I think the do it yourself method is going to be on an upswing, given the economy. My DH isn't very handy, he can fix any computer problem but most household repairs are beyond his abilities.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 1:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I wish I knew what happened... mine doesn't do much of anything himself. Although he did fix the windshield wiper himself the other day lol he was proud and I was in shock lol.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband is very handy and I am SO THANKFUL! We would never be able to afford all of the repairs/home improvements that he does!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My hubby can fix ANYTHING. He also builds most all of our wooden furniture in the house, i.e, our enterainment center, DS toybox, tables, shelves everything. He can fix any vehicale and do any electrical, plumbing or any other kind of work. He's great and I love him for it. I can't stand sissy boys who can't fix stuff.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Mine's a "fixer"! He is simply amazing. Everything from cars to the house, if he doesn't know how to fix it, he finds out. I am SOOOO lucky. He has reroofed the house, put on a solar system, put in a tankless water heater, built 2 rooms - all with shocked and glowing reports from the inspectors. "Home owner done" usually means junk - but not for my guy!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My 'brother' (an older guy I considered family) told me once "Never marry a man who can't fix it himself, and never get married until you can handle your own" I didn't really get that saying when I was 16 (far off from marriage) but my husband can fix, build, install, etc etc anything and everything. And if he can't do something he knows someone who can and they teach him. And I think it's fantastic. We talked about different needs we have and he said his main need is to be respected and needed. and he says thats why he does so much bc he loves when I say "O don't worry Bobby can do it, he's amazing" or "Honey I don't know what I'd do without you"

theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My friends with "sissy" boy hubbys really make me appreciate my guy!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• When we first got married I was in awe of how much my husband was capable of doing, plumbing, electrical, cars. Now, he does nothing. If I mention something that needs repair, he just says Why don't you call someone? So disspointing. Maybe I should try that the next time he wants clean underwear or shirts ironed. LOL
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I hate to say this, but I am more of a handyman then my borther,I am a DIY type of woman, I don't get in over my head but c'mon, anyone can paint, wallpaper, fix a leaky faucet and replace a toilet.
    My brother is the type to do it half-a$$ed or overpay someone to do it.
    TiredofInsanity

Answer by TiredofInsanity at 1:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband works his butt off in our house! He does everything! What he doesn't know how to do, he reads about, learns and then does it. I love him, and this is just one of the millions of reasons.

However there are some car repairs he cannot, nor will do; electrical (because it involves the car's computers), heavy motor, etc. But, he can and does do oil changes, alignments, rotate, brakes, etc.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 1:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2009