firsttime breastfeeder. HELP MY NIPPLY'S! :P

I am trying to breastfeed, and although my daughter dosn't seem to fussy or anything after a feed, I feel shes not latched on right. it hurts so bad ( shes 4 days) my nipples are cracked, their hard as rocks, i've been using warm compresses, pumping when i can't handle that pain. but i just need to know HOW to get the PERFECT latch, any tricks up your sleeve? shes not bothered, but my poor nipples hurt while she feeds.. and its supose to " not hurt"

Sunshine172

Asked by Sunshine172 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you talked to a lactation consultant? It will do you a world of good. I wish I could help you, but I'm sure whatever I tell you, you've already heard. You should also try to find a local Le Leche League chapter. It's really easier to help someone when you can kind of see what they are doing.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• there is a 'cream' that you can get for your nips... geez i can't think of the name.. it's in a purple tube and starts with a L (the same brand sells booby pads for leakage)
    as for the latching on::
    make sure her mouth is open wide enough and I used to kinda squeeze and realese when my son latched on... If you can't get it right the first time and it hurts stick your finger in between ur boob and her mouth to release gently and try again.

I also held his head in the direction I wanted him to latch on and 'aimed' him
    GL breastfeeding can be hard to start but it's so worth the battle...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The "Cream" is called Lansinah (sp) but it works REALLY WELL and is safe for the baby. If you rub her cheek her mouth should open wide. Turn her WHOLE body towards you, not just her head and support her legs and body with a pillow or boppy so you can have your hands free to aim her head straight in. gl...DON'T GIVE UP....you'll work it out :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Lansinoh is what you need, along with a hands on session with a lactation consultant STAT.

There are latch images on breastfeeding.com to help you as well.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• theheartbaby has given alot of good advice actually i did alot of the same the cream works great. Also you have to remember to let your nipples dry as much as you can when the child is done. I use to wear a bra that unlatched for feeding and just leave it undone and shirt up to let them dry. and pump as much as possible when the baby is not feeding and you are full. Be careful not to strain your nipples with pump if it is manual. I had some bad experiences with hurting myself with that dang thing. If your like I was ,mine would leak like crazy so make sure you change the breast pads as much as possible.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• There are some helpful videos on Youtube to help new moms. It shows exactly how to get a proper latch with real women and their babies. Try a search for "first latch".
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• there are some gel pad things that my doctor gave me in the hospital, you put them in the freezer and they stick to your breast. i don't know/remember what they are called, but they helped a lot with the pain between feedings. other than that, the advice the other women gave is great.
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 4:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had a really hard time at first because my breast were too big for my preemee. I went and see a WIC laction consultant and see helped so much. After we see her we had no problems. It shouldn't hurt!!!!!!!!! Try different positions, look them up online to get a visual. Make sure when his mouth is open you (sounds bad) shove your whole areioula in his mouth, it aint gonna hurt hi,m. Chances are you are shoving enough of your breast in his mouth to get a good hold on you! They make nipple cream for your breasts to put on after a feeding, I wiped it off before I fed the baby JUST IN CASE.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Part of the problem can be due to the breast pads not allowing your nipples to heal between feedings. Give those girls some air if you can. And some pain the first few days, despite what they tell you, is completely normal. Your nipples are not used to being sucked on. Cracking and such is not, though, so you probably do have a latch problem. The advice the other mommies here gave you is good for that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i couldn't find the one that they gave me, but i've found similar products: hydrogel pads, Blossumz Hot & Cold Breast Pads

i also found an all natural Nipple Nurture Butter

AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 4:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009