• In the Spotlight:

can you breast feed while pregnant?

so when my husband comes home we both decided i would not go on BC, knwoing we might get pregant again (my youngest son will be 6 months old when my husband returns from overseas) and in the off chance i get preggers i was wonering..do i have to stop brestfeeding and switch to formula or can i breastfed and still be pregnant at the same time? i dont want to stop boobie feeding him but if i get preggers i dont want to have to give the baby up (which is soo not an option for me anyways) just wondering...

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 2:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You technically can, but I wouldn't physically be able to do it. BF one baby was so draining for me...I couldn't imagine having to nurse and be pregnant.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes but your milk may change in taste to your baby...It isok but your son may not like this "milk" and try to wean himself. If he continues to BF, your body will be able to keep up the supply as long as he nurses and potentially you may have two babies to nurse later. Tandem nursing is a challenge but not impossible.
    aqsgwama

Answer by aqsgwama at 3:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You can absolutely do it. I was nursing my ds and he was 6 mos old when I got pg with our dd. I nursed him the whole time I was pg with no problem. I just had to really make sure I drank enough fluids. Also, it was even more important that I ate well and took my pre-natal vitamins.

I was going to tandem nurse, as well (where you nurse the younger baby, and then you can nurse the older baby, young toddler), since he was 15 mos old when she was born, and I didn't want to cause resentment or problems, like he was displaced by the new baby. He nursed about 3 times a day at that point. But, the month my dd was born he got up one morning, nursed, and never wanted to do it again. I think it was because my colostrum for my dd had come in and he didn't like the change in the taste of the milk.

But it really wasn't a problem - if you do this and have any questions, feel free to msg me :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My mom was nursing my sister while pregnant with me.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my cousin still pumps and her son will be 12 months right after her next boy is born at the end of this month.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2009