• In the Spotlight:

ouchy poopies?

My son just stopped nursing so I am sure that is why his poopies are not so soft any more but how to I help him so they dont hurt him? He cries every time he has to poop. (14months old)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try more fiber in his diet. Fruits are good but if he is getting to much it can actually make him slightly constipated causing harded poops. Also a lil Karo sryup mixed in some water always helped my son when he was younger. Right now when my son starts having harder poops or gets constipated I give him a VERY lil amount of prune juice and it helps. Hope some of this helps.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• maybe the prune juice cause he has a rich fruits and veggie diet.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• just feed him fruits and vegtables...and give him a little juice...the doctor told me to give my son two ounces of water and two ounces of juice mixed together.
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 4:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• See thats the thing my son gets alot of juice not prune though. He drinks ALOT so I break it all down. He has about 2 6oz of soymilk then 2 mostly water with spalsh of cranberry juice and then I give him apple juice too.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• That juice is all sugar. It's not helping as much as real fruit will. (although for us, apple juice gets things REALLY moving...ugh) I do give juice to the boys, mixed with water.

One other thought...soy formula causes constipation in some babies. Might not soy milk have a similar affect on a toddler? I really don't know, but it's a thought.....

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• A wise pediatriction once told me P is for poop (sometimes I think he forgot to bring speech levels back to the parents intellegence or he's used to talking to some messed up parents lol) but basically if it has a P in the name it'll help the baby poop. I've found prune juice works the best. The karo syrup worked for my kids too but only if it is mixed with formula
    johnsmom326

Answer by johnsmom326 at 5:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son had issues with cow's milk and soy milk binding him up until he was about 20 months old (he seemed to grow out of it and could drink cow's milk then). We did Karo Syrup and lots of watered down prune juice and he actually liked prunes to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009