what to do about the mother in law

i let her watch the baby, so that she can feel included and so that i can make something to eat or go to the bathroom... when i return she is missing and so is the baby.. i call her cell phone she doesnt answer. its cold out side and she didnt bring the car seat so shes not supposed to be in a car... when she gets back the baby isnt cold but he wasnt wearing shoes and she didnt have a blanket with her... and my husband says im just being overprotective....

edwinsmom2008

Asked by edwinsmom2008 at 4:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he? did she drive with the baby?? i would outright talk to her about it, tell her that if she wants to take the baby somewhere, she needs to ASK. tell her that if she doesn't start asking/telling you when she takes the baby, she won't be allowed to be left alone with him. i would also explain to your husband that it's not that you don't trust his mom, but that it has more to do with it being rude and unthoughtful. if she's taking the baby in the car with out the car seat, explain to him how dangerous that is. even if she's a perfect driver (and no one is), other people on the road can be dangerous. if she isn't driving with him, it is irresponsible to take him out with out proper clothing/blankets.
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 4:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• ah the crazy mil, UGH! Well baby was fine but just let her know your feelings that she didnt do anything wrong just it hurt your feelings cause it scared you! My MIL does it too, even hurts the baby out of stupidity....everyone thinks im overreacting too....its the mother terf i guess
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Okay..the first thing I would have done had ANYONE disappeared with one of my kids and wouldn't answer their cell phone....call the police!!!!!!!

You have a missing baby! She just up and left with your child! You had no way of knowing if she was okay, where she was or what was going on. She should have had the decency to ask you if she could take the baby somewhere!

No. Not acceptable. End of discussion.

My MOM used to do this with my brother's kids. I didn't even have kids and *I* went off on her, too!

No. You don't just walk off with someone's kid.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well I don't think I would be having her watch my child any more that is so unacceptable, you need to talk to her, I don't care if she is your mil that needs to be stopped!!!! It's your baby you need to know where they are at all times. On another note taking the baby in the car without a car seat I cannot believe it, that is so irresponsible this woman has no right being alone with your child, if she does'nt know the difference between right and wrong!!!!
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 8:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I would not let anyone, including my family take any of my children anywhere without my knowledge. Since it has already happened once, I would just tell my mother-in-law and husband that the next time I would call the police, no ifs ands or buts. That was totally irresponsible on her part and your husband's response would be unacceptable to me.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009