How can you tell the difference between dandruff and head lice?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never had to deal with either dandruff or headlice before, so I really don't know how to tell the difference between the two. I have no idea what to even look for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in About CafeMom

• one runs and the other doesnt lol?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• dandruff is white and flakey and head lice just look like tiny insects and their bodies are dark, not white as some people think. their eggs are small and dark too, unless they're hatched and then they're clear. you have to crush the lice and the eggs (nits) between your nails to kill them, or just wash them down the sink. haha my kids have all had lice, can you tell? ;)
    AngieCate

Answer by AngieCate at 5:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• head lice looks like a clear flea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Head lice are bugs. They are very obvious. If they are smaller, you might have to poke it, but it will move if its lice. The adult ones are HUGE and cannot be missed. The eggs are brown and stuck to the hair it self. THis is making my head itch!...LOL...I had a child with headlice for 8 mos. I finally went to the school and told them that if my child came home with it again, she would be withdrawn and homeschooled. IT was THAT hard to get it out.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well if it's lice, my mom swears that the germX hand sanitizer gets it out, eggs too. Good luck! i hope all you need is head and shoulders shampoo!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009