Whats the easiest way to get my babies days and nights right?

Hes 3 months old and hes got his days and nights mixed up. Alot of people are saying hes to young for it to matter or hes to young to be on a schedule?? Im a 1st time mom.

All I can say Is that he sleeps all day and is up most of the night. He may take a little nap at night for maybe a hour.

DH is currently deployed so its not like i can sleep while someone keeps our son awake.

any advice?

CAYDENS.MOM.08

Asked by CAYDENS.MOM.08 at 4:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A baby is never too young to be on a schedule my son was a preemie and was in the hospital for his first 3 wks and when I brought him home his days and nights were very mixed up because there was always something going on in the hospital, it was hard to tell day and night, I guess my best advice would be what I did even though I'm sure everyone has done differently, In the morning I would keep baby entertained and also kept him near windows so he could be in the light and yeah the first couple days were hard but I would only let him have little naps then get him up and do stimulating activities then at night I would make it very quiet and relaxing with a bath and a little massage no bright lights, very dim, and when he went in to his bassinet at night this was the only time I played his mobile so that eventually he would associate this with night time. I hope that this helps even a little bit, but know your not alone.GOOD LUCK
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 8:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hey I just also want to add that a schedule is stucture and all babies need that, I hope you get some rest soon*Hugs Mama*
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 8:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the PP but even for those who argue against a schedule, it's not good for babies to have days and nights mixed up. Like she said, if you can do what you can to stimulate him during the day, that should help. At night, do you have a bedtime routine? We do bath, nurse, story and then cuddle until he's sleepy. The first couple nights, it might take a lot of cuddling and even falling asleep with you. Good luck!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• What i did when my son was younger was Id let him nap but I would wake him so he wouldn't sleep through a feeding during the day, and then at night when he did wake up i would keep it dark and try to keep the talking to a minimum so that he would know that its not day time yet. If he wouldn't sleep I would cuddle him and let him sleep with me in bed, but I broke that habbit fast. My son has been sleeping through the night since he was 6 weeks old. And hes four months, but every baby is different, and some will take a while to get things switched around. Good luck.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009