pushes me when i wash the dishes

I give my son a lot of personal attention. We do crafts, play with bugs, go for walks, we learn to count and say words, we have our snacks and meals...so why is he still acting so clingy to the point that he pushes me away from washing dishes? He is completely over the breastfeeding thing and it not being around...I just don't get why he acts like this..i give so much love...cant possibly be too much?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are his BEST friend! That's a good thing! You might want to see about play groups in your area--could just be informal gatherings at the park or start your own at home with a couple of other moms that have children around your sons age, or even at the Y--an "after school" or "mommy and me" type program (where you can meet other moms to arrange future play dates).

Play groups will teach him more about interpersonal relationships with peers, sharing, and patience, among other things.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I've tried groups and playdates its either I cant find someone nice for us or people dont like us. Its so hard to make friends that count.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You do so much with him, and spend so much time with him, when youre not paying attention to him, he gets mad. You are his mom and you are supposed to do everything together, at least that's how he feels. Maybe try having him help. It used to drive me nuts when my son did that. Finally one day, I told him either he was going to have to help me with the dishes or get out of the kitchen. He said "help", so I grabbed a dinning room chair and set him up at the sink next to me. To this day, almost two years later, if he see's me washing dishes he will grab the chair and bring it into the kitchen.
    And its true that its hard to find good friends for the both of you. For the most part, its just me and Michael. If I find moms I like, he doesn't like the kid or vice versa. I think its less about social skills and more about you doing something without him.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 7:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's important he also learns to play on his own. If you can start that now in small doses it will really help in the long run. I know with my daughter it used to take about 15 minutes for her to realize I was not going to entertain her then she would settle down and amuse herself.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My dd does this to me as well. Whenever I am in the kitchen doing dishes, cooking or cleaning. I came up with putting all my tupperware in 1 cupboard wich is hers. Now when I am in the kitchen she sits in front of her cupboard and does her thing and I can do mine. She loves it!
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 8:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My dd likes to help me with the dishes. SHe used to push at me too so I brought a step stool to the sink and she'll wash one of her plastic cups or bowls while I get the rest. Now anytime I go to the sink she grabs her step stool and comes to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i agree with tessntylersmom thats what I did when my dd did that to me she just sat in the floor playing with bowls and a plastic spoon perfectly content..
    lalasmom8

Answer by lalasmom8 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You can never give too much love. He adores you because you are doing such a great job! Let him help. Get a stool and let him play with the bubbles and teach him what your doing. He will love it!!
    Enjoy him, the time goes so fast!!
    sweettart47

Answer by sweettart47 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009