Ever gotten a surprise in the delivery room?

One of the reasons (at least for me) for knowing the sex of the baby before he/she was born was to decorate the nursery and for the baby shower. My cousin was told she was having a girl and ended up bringing home a boy to a pink nursery. I was just wandering how many others were told during an ultrasound they were having one sex and in the delivery room found out it was the other sex. What went through your mind when you found out?

April_418

Asked by April_418 at 7:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmmmm I don't have that story, but I have another good one :~)

I was due for an ultrasound on August 9th at 11:30am. This was to determine the sex of the baby and her size (I was 36 weeks, and due to insurance issues couldn't have an ultrasound to determine the sex earlier). LO was born on August 9th at 11:16am.

I was in labour joking with my mother that I was going to miss my appointment for the ultrasound lol I had a girl :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't have one of those stories, but with my first two...they told me "boy" but I didn't buy anything blue until they were out and home! lol Even their "coming home" outfits were neutral!

My youngest I knew for sure was a boy...amnio.

epoh...I went into labor the DAY of my 36 week check right after I had my "size check" ultrasound! She was doing an internal (the OB that is) I had what I thought was another cramp and went from 2cm to 4cm instantly! rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had a late ultrasound with my first one since I didn't seem to be gaining much weight, despite my addition to doughnuts. The drs. sat me down in a conference room to break the news to me that I would be giving birth to a child with dwarfism. They then listed all of my options, including adoption, "medically necessary abortion", c-section (which may not be an option, but time would tell). I chose to have the baby vaginally, unless an emergency c-section was imminemt, and to keep the baby. Imagine the drs. surprise when he came out perfectly normal, and, 14 years later is 6 feet tall.

What I think happened was that someone goofed up and switched records. Some poor mother out there had a baby with dwarfism and wasn't forwarned...and had I chosen abortion, my wonderful son would not have had a chance to live.

But as far as the sex of my babies, all the drs. were right on target every time.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes, I did. I just gave birth to a mini Masiel(his dad)....lol
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I got a huge surprise in the delivery room they told me my baby would be 9 or 10 lbs and she was 5lbs 6oz. I had a 0-3 month outfit for a baby who barely fit preemie clothes that was a huge surprise. She's still a tiny little thing and she's almost 6 now
    rayna_82

Answer by rayna_82 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2009