FIV+ cats

We are looking to adopt a car into our family.. I have seen a lot of FIV+ cats.. The people at the shelters say that they live normal lives, but they just need special food. Is it true they live as long as a non FIV cat? Do they need other special treatment besides food? are they more prone to illness?

Haydensmom326

Asked by Haydensmom326 at 7:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fiv_in_cats.htm
    What's Next after a FIV diagnosis?
    If your cat has been diagnosed as FIV-positive, you'll want to work very closely with your veterinarian in designing a management program. For cats with no other symptoms, and otherwise generally good health, this might simply be a matter of ensuring he gets a sound diet, possibly with added vitamins, anti-oxidants, and Omega 3/ Omega 6 fatty acids, as well as prompt, aggressive treatment of infections and other conditions as they crop up. Even flea control is important, as fleas transmit a number of other parasites such as the Haemabartonella. Also, flea bites themselves can become infected, which would be a cause for concern.

blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had an FIV+ cat and she was the best ever. She lived in my hair salon for 3 years and greeted all the people. Then I took her to my house and she lived to be 7 and finally passed to to brain cancer. She had breast cancer, and had surgery for it, but 6 month later I spread to her brain, and because of the FIV I couldn't give her any chemo. But until the cancer, she did live a really normal cat life. The only issues health wise were she would get ear infection pretty easily, but it was easily treated. I worked closely with my vet, and he was great about seeing her on short notice, or not charging me an office visit if I had just been in. I have 2 other non fiv cats right now, (and I had them with her and the diease did not spread and there is a vaccine for it), but when I get my next cat , I will be getting an FIV + cat, as they need homes and I know they can be very normal cats.
    DeeJay292

Answer by DeeJay292 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 19, 2009