We didnt do cord blood banking with my son, but i just found my mom has lymphoma and i was thinking about doing this becuas ei am prego with number 2.. she is interested.. has anyone done this and was it worht it? also how much does it cost and will insurance cover it? how abut MA? would hers cover it if mine wouldnt thanks in advance

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• I looked into it before I had my son but for some reason I just didn't do it. The company I looked into costs about $2000 for a 1 time fee and $125 for annual storage each year. Here is there website-

http://www.cordblood.com/
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I definately think it's worth it but I didn't do it because of the $$. When I looked into it insurance was not covering but as they find out more a lot of them start to pay so maybe.
    poudmomof2

Answer by poudmomof2 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We did this with both of our children 7 & 5 years ago. We banked with Viacord--they are headquartered in Boston, MA. I think they are WONDERFUL...reputable, friendly, knowledgeable, answer all of your questions!

The fees then, were locked in for us at $995 initial fee plus $95 annually for each child. Obviously their rates have gone up, but they DO have a number of interest free payment plans.

I look at it as in long run, this is a very small "insurance plan"--especially considering how astronomically expensive many biological treatments are! Should either my children or my husband or I ever need the benefit of cord blood it can be replicated MANY times over. All family members sharing the same DNA as the person with the stored blood may be able to benefit, and who knows WHAT medical science will discover!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• In answer to the question about how much cord blood banking costs, here's the cost breakdown for CBR (Cord Blood Registry) which we chose based on a recommendation from our OBGYN.
    (It's not cheap, but in essence it's a form of health insurance (for both the baby and other family members), so we're going for it.)

$1625 one-time collection & processing fee
    (after using $250 client referral code from
    http://www.cord-blood-banking-coupon.com )
    $150 courier fee
    $125 first year storage fee
    Plus, we set up an online gift registry through CBR so family and friends can contribute and help with the expense.

Our insurance doesn't cover any of it, but it's worth looking into.

Best wishes to you and your mom.
    Anonymous

• We banked with the cord blood registry...checkout www.thecordbloodregistrymom.com for information on CBR, their payment plans, gift registry option, and the $250 discount off of the fee. We saw it as added insurance for the health of our baby. CBR also offers different payment plans - we opted for the 6 months no interest payment plan. In the big scheme of things, the yearly storage fee of $125 is nominal and what really did it for us is the fact that science and medicine advances every day and diseases it does not cure today could be diseases that in the future will have a cure with these stored cells.
    marukagmb

Answer by marukagmb at 9:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It is free to bank your childs cord blood if you have a family member in need. I work with Cord Banc USA (http://www.cordbancusa.com/), please email me with any questions or call 888 273 7770.

Best Wishes to you and your mom!
    LAnneB

Answer by LAnneB at 10:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2009