Does anyone have...

Couple friends that are on the outs and on the verge of divorce? Did it flip you out when you found out? We have some friends that are like this and I never in a million years would have guessed this would happen. Anyone else, how did you feel?

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 8:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I have and I was very upset. They were our first married friends and while I knew it wouldn't happen to us it does make you wonder. I mean they were exactly like us so if they could fall apart, what about us. After I stopped being so upset DH and I talked and we used it as a learning thing and decided to work that much harder on our own marriage. We're still doing great!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well, a similar story but not exactly like that. My husband's best friend has been with the same girl for like 7 years. They have two kids together but they aren't married. We never asked them why, we just figured it was a personal choice. They seemed so perfect for each other and always seemed so happy together. A couples years ago, I finally became really close to the girlfriend. We became best friends and one day she spilled everything! They fight ALL the time when people aren't around. They pretty much can't stand each other. They don't want to get married because they don't want to be together. But because they have to very small children and she doesn't work, they feel it's better to just stay together for the kids. I was crushed! This couple that we thought was just so amazing was a total fake. It actually made us realize how lucky we really are.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 9:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Navymama we have done the samething we are using it to build our own relationship.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It always seems to be the couple that you would never think would get divorced! But I think its b/c they put up a "perfect" front and so we never see them interacting like they do behind closed doors. So, in a way it does still shock me, but on the other hand its now a signal to me if I've been friends with a couple for X amount of time and never seen them argue or get snippy with each other.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009