is there something wrong with this picture?

I have a two yr old who is touching herself like crazy , is this normal? I also have a 9 yr old who i never had this issue with. It doesnt matter if we tell her not to , she will go to her room and do it there.. I am going crazy.. is this okay..what do i do?

missinglyric

Asked by missinglyric at 8:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she is going to her room and you are washing her hands frequently there is no big deal. It is normal. She found something that feels good. Make an issue of her private parts and nobody else touches except Mommmy, Daddy and her...and private place like her room. Other than that leave it alone. The bigger deal you make about it the bigger an issue it becomes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i agree with grneyedgrandma, my dd did this everytime we turned around she was touching herself and we taught her to go in her room and we washed her hands every time she came out. lol. its normal she just descoved a new thing. now years later my son now 3 has a thing for putting his hand down his pants well butt. we realized he was scraching his butt just a little guess he likes the feel lol. we just say get your hand off your butt and he does.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's totally normal, and IMO telling them no about this can cause some problems later. What you can tell her is that there are appropriate places for it (in the bathtub), and inappropriate places (at the dinner table). I think associating negatives with these parts can lead to shame issues, especially associated with masturbation. My daughter does this a lot in the bath or on the potty. I just try to look the other way. It is her body.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Its a sign of sexual abuse (not saying she was abused) but many of kids who were never abused do it. I work at daycares and see it all the time. Its totally normal as long as you know shes not being abused. Very common for her age!
    aniyahsmommy524

Answer by aniyahsmommy524 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• This is the age when they start to explore, I would not worry too much about it. Just be on the look out for anything unusual, but if it gets out of control, I would look further into the matter.
    sakeenah35

Answer by sakeenah35 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009