Hey guys! im new to this website but i figured maybe SOMEONE on here could help me out! I have a lower back tatoo. Some people have told me b/c of this i can not get an epidural but some have said i can. Does anyone have a answer? Maybe someone who also has a lower back tat? let me know! Thanks! -Chelsea

ncchelsea

Asked by ncchelsea at 8:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can still have an epidural, I have one as well and I had one
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 8:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You definitely can! I've got full back art that runs half way down my butt and it wasn't a problem at all. They go by feel, not by look so you're all good.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If it is fresh, they can't go through the tattoo because it risks pushing the ink into the epidural space. If it is older, it is no biggie. If the tattoo isn't even over the epidural space or there is a gap in the tattoo they can go through, even better. This is what the doc told me anyway. I was afraid I couldn't get an epidural because my sis told me the tattoo myth, but I got one just fine. My tat is old and not over the epidural space anyway, so it wasn't even a factor.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had heard that too and was worried but the anesthesioloisgitjfoejflf (sorry I cant spell) told me as long as the tat was 6 to 10 inches away (or something like that, its been a while) from the injection area it was fine, but then I've heard other people like kabbot01 that had a full back piece and was still able to have an epidural so maybe it just depends on the doctor...idk
    lalasmom8

Answer by lalasmom8 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a tatoo on my back and my epidural was placed right in the center of the butterfly so I would assume it would be okay. I did get mine a few years before I had her though
    AlyBellasMom

Answer by AlyBellasMom at 9:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a lower back tattoo & I still got one.They didnt even go by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• it all debends on how long u have had it. if its been over 6 yrs ur fine
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yeah i have one on my lower back like right at the top of my butt but u can see all the tattoo and not any of my butt.
    Anonymous

• you'll be fine.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009