• In the Spotlight:

Would you allow yourself to participate in a government study?

The government started this year a long term study to discover what factors in the environment promote good health and what factors contribute to conditions such as asthma and allergies.

"Women who are likely to have a child in the near future will be invited to participate in the National Children's Study."
More information @
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2009/february/children-study.cfm

Sunny405

Asked by Sunny405 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no sorry, we are being tested enough by the government. Besides.. they would tweak the results to tip in their favor anyways, so what would be the point?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• By  Obama and his admin (per  the Obama Stimulus) taking bureaucratic control of our medical records, convert them to computer and monitor the level, quality, and demographics of care~I think we are ALL involved in a Government Study... So what's another study, right?  At least this one people have a choice on whether they want to participate.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Not willingly.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We are already part of a Government study. The study of the mental capacities to see just how far we can be pushed before we break. So, no thanks, I don't want to be part of another one.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well, since I worked for a study that was funded by the NIH I would be willing to consider it, if I were in their target group. However, I would have to research everything further and I would ask them a lot of questions before I signed anything. It is very similar to the study I worked for except ours focuses only on the possible environmental causes of childhood diabetes. I think what people have to realize is that you have to go through certain protocol to run a study of this size (or any study). If it really did find causes for some illnesses, etc I would certainly like to see what they come up with.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Nope- some people have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other- I've got an angel on one side and a nerd in a tinfoil hat on the other screaming "it's a conspiracy! they want to control your mind!"

I'd rather keep him quiet. Once that paranoia gate opens I tend to not sleep for weeks on end, and when I do I have nightmares about my gps becoming a government tracking device the fed uses to track down those of my antiquated conservative viewpoint.

I give blood, though, so I do contribute to the health of our society. . . you can laugh now- this is mostly intended to be funny, really. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• brace yourselves, here comes the mold and shower mildew tax
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• NO. Whenever the government gets its hands on anything, some portion of the general public gets really screwed.
    Anonymous