Would you allow yourself to participate in a government study?

The government started this year a long term study to discover what factors in the environment promote good health and what factors contribute to conditions such as asthma and allergies.

"Women who are likely to have a child in the near future will be invited to participate in the National Children's Study."
More information @

Asked by Sunny405 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no sorry, we are being tested enough by the government. Besides.. they would tweak the results to tip in their favor anyways, so what would be the point?

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• By  Obama and his admin (per  the Obama Stimulus) taking bureaucratic control of our medical records, convert them to computer and monitor the level, quality, and demographics of care~I think we are ALL involved in a Government Study... So what's another study, right?  At least this one people have a choice on whether they want to participate.

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Not willingly.

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We are already part of a Government study. The study of the mental capacities to see just how far we can be pushed before we break. So, no thanks, I don't want to be part of another one.

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well, since I worked for a study that was funded by the NIH I would be willing to consider it, if I were in their target group. However, I would have to research everything further and I would ask them a lot of questions before I signed anything. It is very similar to the study I worked for except ours focuses only on the possible environmental causes of childhood diabetes. I think what people have to realize is that you have to go through certain protocol to run a study of this size (or any study). If it really did find causes for some illnesses, etc I would certainly like to see what they come up with.

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Nope- some people have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other- I've got an angel on one side and a nerd in a tinfoil hat on the other screaming "it's a conspiracy! they want to control your mind!"

I'd rather keep him quiet. Once that paranoia gate opens I tend to not sleep for weeks on end, and when I do I have nightmares about my gps becoming a government tracking device the fed uses to track down those of my antiquated conservative viewpoint.

I give blood, though, so I do contribute to the health of our society. . . you can laugh now- this is mostly intended to be funny, really. . .

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• brace yourselves, here comes the mold and shower mildew tax

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• NO. Whenever the government gets its hands on anything, some portion of the general public gets really screwed.