My son changes his own pull up!

My son who will be 4 in a month is not potty trained! At ALL! We talk about it and he says i am a big boy and then we will say well where to big boys pee and poo poo and he says in the potty! Get this he says i am to big forthe potty!!! He goes to headstart during the day and they put a pull up on him and he changes his own clothes and stuff there! They tell me just to wait till summer he is not ready!! YES HE IS! He changes his own pull up when its wet and his own clothes! Well next week is spring break and i am going to focus on it hard! Has anyone kids done this or have you had a daycare or preschool kinda go against your wishes??

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 9:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well my son changes his own pull up lol...HE KNOWS HE NEEDS TO GO TO THE POTTY IF HE IS CHANGING HIS OWN PULL UP.. If i were you I would tell the daycare or nursery..look I am the mother I know when my son is ready and he needs to start using the potty and I would get them to listen to what I said or change nurserys/daycares
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 9:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm against bribery, but their is nothing wrong with giving him small rewards for going in the potty. At home let him have a few m & m's after he goes or have a treasure box and he can pick out on cheap thing when he goes. Put a bowl of fruit loops in the bathroom to give him something to shoot at. When he does it make a huge deal and celebrate. When he is back at school mark on his pull up and tell him if he comes home with the one with your smiley face drawn on it then he will get a treat. Take him shopping for big boy undies and let him pick some up. Good luck!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes dear he is more than ready,if he changes his own pullup,then,he knows the poo and pee is not supposd to be in his pullup and does'nt like the feeling,I worked in a daycare for along time,now I have an in home daycare.They are just being lazy,and don't wont to take time out to help him,send him just under wear,after you work with him on spring break,no more pull ups,they will have to change him. good luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree to send him in underwear. I did with my son and he wet his pants once and hasn't again in months now. I brought in 4 sets of clothes to daycare just in case! I had to gently push my son along as well to potty train as No was the answer otherwise and he'd just end up going in his pullup.
    I think your son will do great in underwear!
    domenicsmom2805

Answer by domenicsmom2805 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• no more pull ups! it feel just like a diaper! send him his undies! he will do fine
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No more pullups!!!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sorry to hear this. In my area they must be potty trained to go to head start. He is sooo ready it is a power play for him. No more pull ups. Only cotton training underwear and make him help you clean himself up but never scold or shame him or it will take forever. Try a reward system. I swear I trained my 3 yr old son with a potty chair and mini marshmellows...his fav. It took about a weekend and he never looked back.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son, who is now 5, started changing his own pull ups when he was about 2 1/2. We just started talking about the potty around him and he became interested in it since we talked like it was not a big deal. Like we would say, hold on honey, I have to go potty, I need to pee. Stopping what we were doing to go to the bathroom and he would follow. So when he started changing his own pull up as soon as it was wet, we told him that we should try underwear for a day.
    It sounds like you son is ready to me. If he understands that he JUST went, he should be able to tell you BEFORE he has to go. And as for the Headstart program he's in. Seems to me like they just don't want to take the time in asking him if he has to go every now and then. It doesn't seem right for them to ignore what you ask them to do. Ask to talk to them, let them know you have a problem. It's in the best interest of your son. I've had to have A TALK too.
    PrincessJesse

Answer by PrincessJesse at 2:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2009