Can any one answer carseat question for me?

My son is going on 8 months. He is roughtly 19 pounds and 32 inches. His legs are getting too long and I want the carseat to be facing the front now. At what age, weight or height can I face the carseat towards the front?

aznblond9

Asked by aznblond9 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-25 Credits)
  • The minimum for most states is 20 pounds AND 1 year old. His neck muscles aren't developed enough to take the impact of a crash if he were to be forward facing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• -Not until 1 yr and 20 lbs. Your son will be fine. That is a normal heighth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• dear lord, please leave your baby rear facing. Sure he may enjoy forward facing, but do you have any idea how unsafe it is?? Im so serious. Forward facing now, or probably before the age of 2, is the stupidest thing you can do. I dont know why the laws arent different and why doctors dont educate women on car seat safety. hopefully someone will respond with a link to a video you can watch. Please reconsider.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Wait until hes a year...at the minimum. He needs the height. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Is he in an infant seat? If he is, once you move him to a RF convertible seat, his feet/legs won't be scrunched. They are bigger seats, so they sit farther back, and therefore have much more room. My son is 19 mos and still RF and his legs don't touch the seat. The general rule is 1 yr and 20 lbs. There is not a seat around that allows for forward facing before that. Many seats, however, allow for rear facing much longer then that, going up to a 35 lb RF limit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's best to wait until 1 year AND 20 lbs but as long as possible is best. I just turn my dd around at almost 2 year old. She had her legs kinda folded in the back, but she still fit. invest in a convertible or 3 in one car seat. they are rear facing until 35 lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• the MINIMUM is one AND 20lbs however its much safer to rear face to the limits of the convertable carseat which is normally 35 lbs. Babies neck and spines dont fuse together till almost 3 years old so the force of a crash on there neck in a forward facing position will cause Internal Decapitation. Go on youtube and look for Joel's story. Also there is a website out for his story as well. I currently have my 3 and half year old still rear facing and she likes it ten times better then forward. She cried when my husband mentioned turning her around. She sits either crossed legged or she sets her legs on the top of the vehicle seat or lays them off the side of the seat. My 17 month old is rear facing as well and has plenty of room for his feet. Im with the other poster that your baby will have much more legg room in a convertable seat.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 11:36 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Like someone else suggested a rear to forward convertible seat would help out a lot with the cramped legs. Def. wait 'til one year though because it is not just a weight and height thing but a neck stability thing to. At one year you can be confident that your childs neck muscles will have developed enough to handle minor impacts.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thank you ladies!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009