8 month old - early early morning bottle

My daughter, at 7 months, had pneumonia. She had a rough month and we fed her whenever she would eat (off her regular schedule) day or night because she had lost her appetite and had a very squeezy stomach and all we wanted to do was get her healthy. We are all better! However, she used to sleep from 8pm to 630am straight thru the night but now, she goes to sleep at 8pm and wakes at 4am screaming for a bottle. We gave it to her for the past week thinking that she just needed some more time to get back into the schedule, but it is not subsiding. Last night I tried to let her cry it out and see if she would just go back to sleep, but after a 1/2 hour, she was still screaming so I gave her the bottle which she happily took and went back to sleep until 630am. Any thoughts on this? Is it her age? I gave her more food then usual yesterday but that didn't seem to help. Do I really need to give her water in the 4am bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You fed her whenever she wanted for a month lol so she is taking advantage of that....if i were u i would do whatever you did before to get her on the schedule she was on before she got sick and see if that doesnt help..once a baby gets used to something its hard to get them back on the right track....if she takes a passy or something try giving her that at 4 am or just hold her and rock her back to sleep instead of giving into the bottle
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 9:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my daughter needs a bottle during the middle of the night too
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you think it's just because she got used to it temporarily, I think you can break her of it again. One thing you could try is offering a bottle of water at that time. She may not bother waking up for that. Or you can just try to put her back to sleep without the bottle. It may involve some crying... but you should be able to get there if you keep it up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• She could genuinly still be hungry or even thirsty, she could be in a growth spurt and since she was sick she probably is already lacking some nutrients and this is her bodies way of making it up. It really isn't going to hurt to just walk in her room and hand her the bottle, water or formula, your choice, but right know it is what she needs, that's what she is saying when she wakes up. The best of sleepers will change the night routine for many, many months, it is perfectly normal.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Luckysevenwow pretty much said it all. I think sometimes we give babies too much credit when we think they are crying just to get attention. They cry because that is there only way to tell us they need something. All three of ours would go through phases and growth spurts when they were hungry in the middle of the night. Expecially when they start to move on their own and require more calories.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009