How do I introduce the sippy cup to my 6 month old?

My Dr. suggested that I try a sippy cup with my 6 month old because he is not a big fan of his bottle. How do I do this? He does not even hold his own bottle. How is he going to do a sippy cup? Also - do you have to burp with a sippy?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 10:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let him play with it to get used to it
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:03 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• well if i were you i would wait untill he can atleast hold a bottle to try and introduce the sippy cup..I would try changing doctors because he should'nt go off of formula untill 1 year old..thats mostly when i hear of docs wanting to start the changiing of the bottle to the sippy cup.....and by then you shouldnt have to burp the child at all..atleast i didnt lol
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 10:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• He does not want him off of formula, he wants me to try giving the formula in the sippy
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 10:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Just keep a sippy cup of water around throughout the day. Let him play with it, show him how to use it, he will pick it up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree you should just let him play with it for awhile, hold it for him and help him take sips. He's not going to be able to take whole feedings from it, though, IMO. After trying a bit in the sippy I would transfer it to the bottle to be sure he gets the whole feeding. I bet your doc is just trying to start that transition so it will help in the future -- not so it will be an immediate solution. Also, most moms find that you have to try several sippy cups because all kids prefer different ones. But 6 months is really young for them to master one.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• "Just keep a sippy cup of water around throughout the day. Let him play with it, show him how to use it, he will pick it up. "

I agree with this. This is the easiest and most stress free way to do it : )
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am trying to introduce the sippy to my 6 m/o dd also. I just put a little dilute juice in it and put her in her highchair and let her play with it. After 2 days she actually puts it in her mouth! She doesn't hold her bottle b/c I bf but sometimes give her a bottle.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Btw, my dd was completely off her bottle and on a sippy cup at 6 months. We started with the ones with the soft spout.
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I say no rush. As long as he is off the bottle by age one or somewhere there about. You have plenty of time.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 10:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Nuby is one of the better brands for transitioning to a sippy cup because they have the really soft spouts on them that seem more like the texture they are used to with the bottle. My kids were all on sippy cups by 8 months and I used different ones for all of them but Nuby I used with my daughter and she took it a bit faster. And, they are BPA free!

http://www.shop.nubysippycup.com/category.sc;jsessionid=5CDA0F7AB5CC3160D72671486BF050F2.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=3
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2009