how did you make the cake for your baby's 1st bday?

I have about 1 month before my son's 1st bday! I was informed as a tradition, for him to have his own cake and the other guests will have their own cake. If you follow this tradition, did you make your own cake or was it store bought? any ingredients I need to watch for? can I use a whole egg or still just yolk? any other tips appreciated!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i cant decorate lol so my sons cake was shaws bakery also alot of people dont like frosting so i got a cake that had whipped frosting not as sweet its yummy, but my sons 1st b day was cupcakes for kids. ohh and a sheet cake to feed 18 people cost me 20 bucks.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I like the idea of cupcakes and one is his own cake. I would use organic cake mix, but I also eat organic. If you are not a organic eater then I think regular will be just fine for him.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i went to giant eagle and got my kids they give you a little cake for free for the first birthday for the birthday child but you have to order it ahead of time and i bought the cake for everyone else
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I always got them their own cake from the bakery. They sell little tiny one serving cakes and you can get them to make one with the colors you want. I figure that way they can make a mess, which is what mine always did, and you get good pics. I dont worry about sugar and what not since its once a year. It isnt like youre giving it to them everyday and I have never seen a 1 yr old actually eat more then one bite before just using it as finger paint.
    The big cake you can do anyway you want to. If you buy from a grocery store sometimes they give you the little cake free if you buy the regular cake from them.

Answer by gemgem at 10:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Wow, anonymous is a little cranky this morning. Now we're begrudging a 1 year old his first birthday cake?? And I thought I wasn't a morning person...

My son's first birthday is in 3 weeks! I'm going to bake an organic, lower-sugar banana cake into cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. Birthday boy will have one of those for his own. The reason, btw, anonymous, is because it's tradition. Some people like tradition. If you don't, yay for you, but just as others will respect your choices for you, you can learn to respect their choices for them.

*ahem* Sorry, got off on a tangent.

The main cake will be chocolate with chocolate and caramel icing.

If you're worried, send your doctor's office an email and ask them what they think about a regular full sugar/full eggs/regular milk cake on your son's birthday. Chances are they'll say it's fine, but to watch for any allergies. Happy birthday, baby!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I did it with all my kids, but like the other poster said I do the whipped icing. Alot of places around here, like Reasors, WalMart, and the other grocery stores will give you a free 10 inch round cake for free if you have 1st birthday written on the big cake you order. Like happy 1st birthday (childs name here) and it is so cute to watch them. They end up wearing more than they eat anyway, so i would strip down to a diaper and put the outside, weather permitting of corse.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We made each one of the boys their cakes for their 1st B-days. One had a cake in the shape of a bulls head, one had the shape of a rocking horse, my third had a cutout cake shaped like a bunny and the fourth had a thomas the train cutout cake they (and all the guest) thought that was the coolest!! We had giant cupcakes on the side for the "adults" that couldn't handle the thought of eating the cake after baby got the first bite lol. It was more fun for me that way instead of being impersonal and buying the cakes.
    itsallgood0100

Answer by itsallgood0100 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ours was store bought. She got a little cake free for her 1st b-day when we bought a bigger cake. I wouldn't worry too much about ingredients unless your LO is allergic to anything. Xylia hardly wanted to touch hers. We had to stick her hands in it and she just kind of freaked out. I'm not sure she even likes cake lol. To this day she won't even eat a cupcake with frosting on it. My kid is weird though.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I baked a regular cake for guests and made a mini cake for my kids 1st birthday. However, if you buy a cake from Publix or Confetti & Lace they will give you a seperate "smash" cake for you son. I knew my kids weren't allergic to eggs, so I just used the regular recipe.
    McNicolMom

Answer by McNicolMom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I bought his first birthday cake and the bakery gave me an extra slice for him. You don't have to watch for anything, unless he is allergic to something. You don't have to have a separate cake for him, I did because other people had to eat the cake after he smooshed his fingers in it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009